1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement laptop screen is much too dim

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jgjg, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgjg

jgjg Thread Starter

I recently built myself an intel sp-15 uma barebone laptop which all went very well and I recommend it for anyone who has had experience building desktops. The problem is I cracked the led screen that came with it. I ordered a replacement screen from screencountry.com and they sent me a samsung as opposed to a chi mei, which should be compatible. The problem now is that there doesnt seem to be any power getting to the LED backlight. I tested it with the cracked screen as well, and its backlight didn't work either. There is a very faint image of whatever is on the screen, so the video card is working properly.

What should I do? Is there something i could fix? a place i could send it to that would cost less than $400 to fix? I'd prefer to fix it on my own.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. TekTime

TekTime

3. jgjg

jgjg Thread Starter

the inverter is the chip on the back of the screen with plastic covering it that says do not touch right? if this is it I doubt the one in my new screen is bad and the one in my old, cracked one definetly still worked (the screen lit up, but half the image was gone of course. now neither screen lights up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!