1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement mobo and cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Odyssey, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Odyssey

Odyssey Thread Starter

I have concluded that one or both of my existing AMD Athlon 64 and Jetway mobo K8M8MSR2, socket 754 have gone toes up and must be replaced.

I have found the following mobos on ebay:

AMD NVIDIA PCI EXPRESS SKT 754 FSB 800 ATX
    ASUS K8U-X
    ASUS K8V-MX

with the AMD at apx $25 and both ASUS less than $20. Will anyone with experience on any of these 3 boards please share your recommendation with me?

While considering replacement/upgrade, is it sensible to stay with a socket 754? If it is not significantly more to move to a later/better socket? If the latter, which and why? TIA.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Way more sensible to move on. Socket 754 is history, so are the CPUs that fit in the socket. It will be a bit of an spending upgrading to AM2(940), but would be pretty well worth it. Here's just for info what you would get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.144001 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148212
    If you were to verify that your CPU still lives(which I think is true, they rarely fail, without a breaking PSU motivating them), then it would propably be worth saving your money and getting just one of the cheap boards...

3. Odyssey

Odyssey Thread Starter

I expect that upgrading makes more sense. The thing is that I don't know if it is just the mobo, which I strongly suspect, or both the mobo and the cpu. If I replace the mobo for $20-25, and that is all that is required, then I get off light. But if a cpu is also required, then the total pushes the investment up to where a newer system would have been a better idea.

The other consideration which drives up the cost of an upgrade is not being able to use my existing ram in a newer system.

4. Odyssey

Odyssey Thread Starter

Apology for disappearing, but there were extenuating circumstances.

I bought an inexpensive replacement mobo/cpu and struggled with it for several days trying all combinations of removing and replacing bits without getting anything but a series of one second beeps each followed by four seconds of silence. Finally bought a mobo tester and all indicated a dead mobo. Fortunately the seller has agreed to take it back even though I was several days past the return notification date.

So will replace with a low end dual core mobo/psu, either socket AM2 or 775. Would like to keep the total spend under $150 inasmuch as this computer is not used for anything more demanding than keeping many instances of firefox open simulataneously.

Does anyone know of a mobo review site that has a fairly good number of reviews? I know about http://www.motherboards.org but so far haven't found a review of any mobos that I have been especially interested in.

Also if anyone has seen a mag article or internet resource that compared low end dual core bundles, a URL would be most appreciated.

Finally, keeping the above 'specifications' in mind, does anyone have any thoughts about AMD vs Intel low end dual core chips or comments about boards (good or bad experience)?

TIA

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I build systems with both amd and intel and FWIW both will do a fine job for you.
    If money is a concern, I would probably go with an AMD build right now. If you want the absolute fastest system, then go intel.

Something like this AMD 5000+ and this biostar board

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW that comes out to around $120 or so. Not exactly cutting edge however pretty good for web, email, etc. You can get either 2gig or 4gig of ddr2 dirt cheap now so all in all a pretty good upgrade over an old socket 754.

7. Odyssey

Odyssey Thread Starter

crjdriver, thanks for those.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice