1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacement motherboard or CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okeee, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

pc info:

asus A8N-E socket 939
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    EN 8400gs silent
    Kingston 2x 512mb value ram
    win xp

I may need to replace the motherboard or CPU. If one of these 2 needs to be replaced, is it still possible to maintain all other parts? Are there still (new) parts available that would fit in this setting? The price does not matter, the cheapest one that fits in this system would be ok.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked last week for another member and there were no socket 939 boards available on either newegg or zipzoomfly. Your only hope would be to buy used and that is a gamble in itself.

Socket 939 cpus are pretty expensive on ebay. I would really consider just getting a modern AM2, AM2+ type board and cpu.

3. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

Ok, and if the CPU needs to be replaced, are there still any new CPU that would fit on this motherboard?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not going to find a new socket 939 cpu unless you find someone who just happens to have one sitting around.

If you check on ebay, used socket 939s are getting very expensive. At least the higher performance ones. This is why I recommend going with modern hardware. The cost would probably be the same or less AND you would have better performance.

5. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

Ok, so if either doesn't work anymore, I would have to replace them both? How about the Kingston RAM, would that still fit on any new motherboard?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should be ddr1 so no it will not fit a modern board. Ram is so cheap now, it is almost a through away. 2gig of corsair xms ram is all of $25 after rebate.

7. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

What is the difference between types of RAM, for example, I see these codes, what does that mean?
    Also, I what is the difference between DDR, SDRAM, SO-DIMM, SO-DDR, DDR2 and DDR3? Which should I use?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What you use is dependent on what motherboard you choose.
    Those are all different types of ram [ddr, ddr2, ddr3,etc] with different size chips, and different required voltages. They are not interchangeable.

The first thing I would do is find out what parts you have now have failed. That way you can make a decision as to what you want to replace OR just do a complete upgrade ie new board, cpu, and ram.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I just checked newegg and for less than $150 or so, you can have a new gigabyte board, 5400+ dual core cpu, and 2gig of memory.

It really does not get any cheaper than that.

That is about what used 939 dual core cpu are are selling for on ebay. It makes no sense to mess around with old hardware when replacing it is so cheap.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

11. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

Thanks, but if I'd have to replace any parts, I'd rather get them from a local store. Here are some cheap parts listed (motherboard, CPU, RAM), which ones could I use? Only requirement is that it has to fit with the other parts, videocard (EN 8400gs siltent) and such.

Motherboard:
    ASUS P5SD2-VM,s775
    MSI 945GCM7-F,s775
    MSI K9N6PGM2-V,sAM2
    ASUS P5KPL-AM SE/C/SI,s775
    ASUS P5KPL-AM,s775
    ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS,sAM2
    ASUS P5N73-AM,s775
    MSI K9AGM3-F,sAM2
    MSI K9N NEO-F V2,sAM2
    ASUS M2N68-CM, sAM2

CPU:
    AMD Sempron LE-1250
    AMD Athlon LE-1640
    AMD Sempron LE-1300

RAM:
    Corsair 2 GB Value Select VS2GB667D2
    Corsair 2 GB Value Select VS2GBKIT667D2
    Corsair 2 GB XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5

What's the difference between Sempron and Athlon?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you understand that 5 of those boards are intel cpu boards and you have selected an amd cpu.

First decide on what cpu you want; then pick a board that supports that cpu.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not understand why you are so attached to that video card. It is a very low end card and the onboard video on the board I linked to is superior to the 8400. That is a basic video card that is used for email, spreadsheets, etc. It is not a card used for gaming.

Next you may or may not have to buy a new power supply since all modern boards use 24pin not the older 20pin atx connectors. You need to check what power supply you have installed.

14. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

I didn't know that an onboard videocard could be better than a normal videocard.
    The power supply is from Antec, 450 Watt, which came with a Sonata II case.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well most of the time it is not however in your case the card you have is a very low end card. As I posted, it is for email, etc. The onboard will do just as good a job.

If you had a 8800 series card or ati 4850 type card, then you would need to use that card however those are a long, long way from an 8400 type.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice