1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacement of CMOS battery in NEC Versa laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PamK, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PamK

PamK Thread Starter

hello:

I "inherited" an NEC Versa laptop, model 4230. We finally got it up and running but I think we need to replace the CMOS button battery (I get a "System battery is dead" error message). I have the right size/current/voltage battery but cannot access the board. I realize I may have to solder leads on the battery to secure it properly to the board. Is there a special NEC tool to take this cartridge/mother board out? There is a lock/unlock icon next to a small hole of this cartridge. All of the other cartridges do not have this oval shaped hole. What shape is the tool? How can I change my battery w/out getting to this board?

Thanks in advance,
    PamK in San Jose, CA

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "lock/unlock" symbol next to an "oval hole" sounds very much like the standard Kensington Lock provision on a laptop.

This is for attaching a locking cable to lock the PC to a desk, and prevent theft. Its not a lock to get access internally for the laptop.

The "system battery" will be the little button cell or similar that is located on the motherboard of the laptop, probably deep within the internals.

Taking a laptop apart (and getting it back together) without damaging the laptop can be a complex and difficult operation, and you really need the full service manual to find out how its done for that model. I would suggest taking it to a shop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice