Replacement of single keys for Toshiba Satellite S50-A

JJ0502

I broke - like chipped into pieces - the number 2 and 3 on my keyboard.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S50-A and there have been 3 manufacturers of this laptop/keyboard. So, there are 3 different hinges for the individual keys. Very confusing.
Is there somewhere that I can buy single keys that will fit my keyboard?
(In case you can't tell, I'm a total novice)
Thanks for any help!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would try Ebay for replacement keys. They can be very difficult to fit if the 2 parts of the hinge have to be replaced.

Also try Ebay for a whole keyboard which should be quite easy to fit and may not cost much more than the 2 keys.

JJ0502

Thanks for your suggestions. I've already replaced the keyboard - the broken keys are on the new keyboard. So what I really need are just two single keys. I've looked on eBay and found several Sellers that have single keys, but I can't tell the difference in the hinges shown because the diagrams/pictures are indistinguishable.

You are absolutely correct when you say that it's difficult to get the right hinges for the keys I need. With the 3 different manufacturers, there are 3 different hinges for the keys. :(

My next thought is to find a computer store or small repair shop where they might have single keys, and then take the laptop into the shop and have them replace the keys so that I don't screw things up (again). I'm not sure if there is such a place anywhere near where I live, but I figure I can do an advanced search and maybe come up with something?

plodr

Liz
You can buy single keys. I researched this when one key broke on an Acer laptop. I'll need to find the site because there were excellent pictures of the types of connectors below the keys.

New keyboards here, don't seem expensive
https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/s50/

plodr

Liz
I think I found the site
https://www.quikfixlaptopkeys.com/?product=toshiba-satellite-s50-single-replacement-keyboard-key

Scroll down to see the 3 hinge types: T81, T86 and T96.
I assume if two keys are broken, they are off the keyboard. Perhaps you can tell the hinge style that way.

Also you''l quickly come to the conclusion that buying just 2 keys is almost as much as an entire keyboard.
We decided to get a new keyboard instead of one key. I had a local shop install it and kept the keyboard with the broken key as a spare.

JJ0502

A stroke of good luck! A friend who fixes computers on the side has the two keys that I need. He has all sorts of computer stuff, and I just thought to ask him today. Turns out that he has 3 or 4 keyboards from Toshiba Satellite laptops, and will give me the two keys that I need.😃

I expect that replacing these two keys may be a problem because there are 3 types of hinges for this laptop (3 manufacturers) and the pieces are tiny. I'm going to give it a try - I have nothing to lose, right?

JJ0502

I think I found the site
https://www.quikfixlaptopkeys.com/?product=toshiba-satellite-s50-single-replacement-keyboard-key

Scroll down to see the 3 hinge types: T81, T86 and T96.
I assume if two keys are broken, they are off the keyboard. Perhaps you can tell the hinge style that way.

Also you''l quickly come to the conclusion that buying just 2 keys is almost as much as an entire keyboard.
We decided to get a new keyboard instead of one key. I had a local shop install it and kept the keyboard with the broken key as a spare.
Hi Liz, and thanks so much for sending me the website for the keys I need. The hinge that's used on my laptop isn't on the list, so I'll get in touch with the company tomorrow. It would be awesome if I could get a different hinge - these teeny tiny thin plastic hinge parts keep slipping out of my hands. When I call them tomorrow I'll ask. Thanks again!

JJ0502

Hi everyone .....
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. Just before I went into the hospital this last time the Toshiba Satellite laptop took a leap off of the kitchen counter "all by itself." Now it won't connect to the internet and is generally out of service. I decided to take it apart (the best I can) and re-sell the bottom case since I'd just purchased one on eBay.

The next question was what to replace it with .... after looking around I decided NOT to replace it at all, but to use my "work laptop" in the kitchen instead. I need to find a large plastic bag to go over the keyboard and monitor so that food, splashes, etc. never hit a working part. I thank you again - it's so good to know that y'all are here and *bookmarked* on my desktop. :)

plodr

Liz
I need to find a large plastic bag to go over the keyboard and monitor
Not a good idea to encase a laptop in a plastic bag. Why? The heat will build up and the internals will eventually get fried.

I'd keep the laptop perhaps in a cupboard (open when it is on to allow hot air to release) and attach an external keyboard to it.
I used to use a silicon keyboard with my laptop so I could drink coffee and not worry about spilling it on the laptop.

JJ0502

Not a good idea to encase a laptop in a plastic bag. Why? The heat will build up and the internals will eventually get fried.

I'd keep the laptop perhaps in a cupboard (open when it is on to allow hot air to release) and attach an external keyboard to it.
I used to use a silicon keyboard with my laptop so I could drink coffee and not worry about spilling it on the laptop.
My [wonderful] husband does a lot of the cooking and is talented with flavors and textures. He is also the messiest cook EVER; the floor and cupboard doors are always splattered with sauces, oils, etc. The laptop is for his use and convenience while he cooks. That's why the laptop needs to be protected. I'm not wedded to a plastic bag as a solution, so any ideas you have are appreciated!

Also ..... there isn't a cupboard where the laptop can live. Do you think that a heavy duty plastic bag to be used ONLY when he's cooking is a bad idea?

plodr

Liz
I would not put a laptop that is turned on in a plastic bag.

JJ0502

I was thinking that maybe Saran Wrap to cover the keyboard and monitor (separately, of course) might be a better alternative. BUT .... since I'm really a novice with this computer stuff, I'll follow any expertise directions - with pleasure!

plodr

Liz
Saran Wrap sounds like a good option.
I did see some posts where people are using this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts