Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

replacement os cd

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I don't know where this thread belongs, or even if it's relevant to tsg, but here goes: A friend has a Dell XP desktop. She lost her original installation discs, and called Dell for a replacement. They sent her a new XP Home CD, and charged her $180. The same as if she had never owned a Dell PC, and had gone out and bought an XP CD for full retail price. It doesn't sound right to me. I thought that you would pay for some kind of service charge if your installation CD got lost or damaged. Did Dell make a mistake? Is this normal business procedure?

pjblevin

#2 ·
well, maybe they sell it at full retail to make sure no one was trying to get copies for less than the original Windows XP.

Ususally the Dell XP CD will have specific programs and drivers for the Dell machines so I guess the have a right to do that. But don't get me wrong... $180 for a 70c CD with XP on it is way too much...

#3 ·
If it also included the software that was bundled with the Dell, like CD burning software, Photoshop, Encarta, etc., then maybe it makes up for the price. But if it's just WinXP Home, I agree with Tidus4Yuna.

#5 ·
lol... wow dell is breaking a ball to help her.

Well, I guess the real culprit is Microskank for charging Dell a lot.... but $120 is still alot. I would like to see it at least $50... the price of an UPGRADE... (Well the old versions at least :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.