1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement screen and now brightness won't increase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcdaspark, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcdaspark

marcdaspark Thread Starter

Hi all,

Bit of a tricky one here.

I just bought a replacement screen for my Dell Studio 17 1745. I don't believe it is actually a dell replacement part but here is the link. http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/laptopparts/DELL-STUDIO-17-1745-17.3-LAPTOP-SCREEN_12053.asp

Anyway fitted it, fairly straight forward, had some bother with a dodgy display cable but other than that seems to be working fine. Now here's where it gets tricky.

If I press brightness on the f keys, or through the system display properties I get nothing, not even mildly brighter or dimmer, yet the on screen brightness display shows up. Figure that one out! I'm totally stumped I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD HD drivers and got nowhere. I tried downloading a third party brightness and display adjustment piece of software but it couldn't even recognise my screen let alone let me do anything about the brightness.

And (this might help but to me it only makes things more confusing) when I start up the screen is so dark it's virtually off, no backlight or something I don't know but I can see a vague negative image of the windows logo. But once loaded the desktop and all programmes run normally, except the issue with not being able to change the brightness (which by the way isn't a huge problem, I'd increase slightly but it's fine).

Can anybody help me? I'm out of ideas

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does the replacement have exactly the same part number as the original screen ?
    It should be written on the back of the screen assembly.

Assuming that it does double check all the cable connections, especially those to the inverter (which usually controls the brightness). Is it the original inverter ?

3. marcdaspark

marcdaspark Thread Starter

No it does not, see link above. As it is an LED backlit screen I don't think there is even an inverter, certainly none I could discern when replacing the screen?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!