1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement System Board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoofyGimp, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoofyGimp

GoofyGimp Thread Starter

I have an old Gateway P5-133 computer with an Evergreen MX-Pro 200 cpu upgrade on an American Megatrends system board.
    I was in the process of upgrading it with a larger hard drive, WinME, a couple of USB ports, potentially more RAM etc. and was experiencing intermittent episodes of it not booting up. My new machine's monitor, which I used while working on this old POS, was saying there is no video signal coming from the old computer. A new video adapter produced the same message, so I am assuming the system board croaked. It did boot fine following the installation of the new HD and ME.
    What would be a suitable replacement if you would be so kind as to enlighten me? I can return the PCI Video and USB adapters but not the Maxtor 80GB Ultra ATA/133 drive and ME.
    Regards,
    Doug

2. rugrat

rugrat

GoofyGimp

Welcome to TSG! As far as a replacement board, you are probably wasting your time. My suggestion would be to keep the video you bought, the hard drive and the floppy. The rest is very outdated. Your board is a socket 5 board with no real replacement out there. The case and power supply will be of no use on a newer board (probably an AT form factor). The evergreen chip will only fit a socket 5 board and you can go much much faster with a low end $30 duron processor. The memory is probably 70ns dram and will not be able to be used in a newer board. Not really much you can save. Your choices are to look at used computer shops for an old socket 5 board or to shell out a couple of bucks for a bare bones system.

SeeYa

3. hammerbill

hammerbill

Good chance its your board too-either damaged board or damaged bios. The classic answer to this, which is to check for bios upgrades to the board online may or may not help. I can't remember what they are but windows ME does have certain minimum requirements of amount of memory and CPU size which it will accept and run on. Maby you got one boot and then it got wise to your system. In this case, you could revert back to win 98 (but not 95) with a fat 32 partition until ready with other parts.
    Are you sure you got the right kind of memory? You might also enter cmos (press "del" while booting on many computers) and select the option that says something to the affect of "load fail-safe settings", save and exit.
    A lot depends on how much money you want to put into the upgrades. Replacing the board and CPU and memory will have to be done at the same time. If you look for a board that accepts a low end AMD duron processor, you may want to leave yourself open for future upgrades by making sure it can also accept the at least the AMD Athlon line too, and better yet, the AMD athlon XP's. If you are a good shopper, you could do the basic upgrade for about $120.00 using some online discount warehouses and some self-tutoring on computers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/122100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice