1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaces My Girlfriends Engine, One Of The Biggest DIYs I've Ever Done

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by jay9821, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay9821

jay9821 Thread Starter

New to the forum, I am a medical professional and IT student. My passion has always been for cars, I belong to a few Subaru forums and thought I'd share this:

***"It's been a crazy ride over the last year. My girlfriends Saab 92x (Subaru with a Saab badge) seized a timing belt pulley a few month's ago and shredded her belt.

[​IMG]

Replaced the engine in the Saabaru (Subaru community slang term for it.) 5 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Got a bunch of parts to do the swap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not fun pushing a 3k pound car up a steep driveway.

[​IMG]

If you ever plan on doing anything on your Subaru, own one of these. Company 23 crank pulley tool.

[​IMG]

Bought the engine off EBay. Got super lucky and this ej253 was clean internally. Replaced the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug gaskets too and the two access gaskets on the back of the block.. The engine had a brand new timing belt kit already on. This particular engine was also off a wrecked Saab 92x which kinda made me sad. But at least this engine will live on in spirit. 👍

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got curious and rolled my crank. I felt compression and never any interference.

[​IMG]

Got it nice stripped down. And prepped for pull.

[​IMG]

Staying warm in -10 degree Michigan weather.

[​IMG]

Ran into an issue here and there... Michigan has a way to seize engine mount nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hammer and fine edged chisel for splitting block from bell housing.

[​IMG]

And boom.

[​IMG]

I was told all the cool kids did this. Something about #BayStanders ? Or something? Idk I'm old.

[​IMG]

Had to remove the flywheel due to the new engine being manual and the 92x being auto. Repleced with flexplate.

[​IMG]

New engine in.

[​IMG]

Used my old intake as it was in better shape. Also I couldn't find any info on whether if their was any difference between auto and manual and I didn't want to be a gueni pig. From as far as I can tell they're completely the same.

[​IMG]

And done. It took me 4 days to do and a couple busted knuckles. There is a surprisingly lack of info for the N/A crowd over on the Subaru forums. A lot of us over ther "DD" (Daily Drive) N/A (normally aspirated) Subarus. There are a few kinks to work out, a minor exhaust leak from my exhaust manifold. Overall this has literally been one of the easiest project of this scale I have ever done.

The same project I did on my Civic Si back in the day took two weeks and I always thought that Hondas were the easiest cars to work on. Usually this type of thing makes a person hate a car but this has only burned my passion for Subaru even deeper. My friend who helped even wants a Subaru now. :D

This is what he's gotten himself into with his Mini Cooper S

[​IMG]

Yes, that's his entire front end removed and no I want nothing to do with it and he has non of my envy lol... Though now I owe him... Haha

First start
    http://youtu.be/70tQO4_5WII
    "***
    Now it has 700 miles on it and all the kinks have been worked out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice