1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacing a dell laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zorlinshape, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zorlinshape

zorlinshape Thread Starter

The hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 700m died recently, and I've been meaning to replace it. When talking with my friends about it, they told me that they've "heard" that Dell laptop hard drives are custom-shaped for their laptops, so if I just go out and buy a generic hard drive, it might not fit. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Right now, I'm using a spare hard drive that one of my friends let me borrow (also from a Dell laptop--so we don't know if the aforementioned rumor is true or not), and it's working fine. Which leads me to my second question: after I buy a new hard drive, if I just directly transfer all the data from my friend's spare hard drive to the new one, will everything run properly?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. zorlinshape

3. Hughv

Hughv

Dell has an excellent support site, and it took about three clicks to find this:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins700m/en/SM/hdd.htm#wp1084976
    I've replaced 2-3 Dell HDs, and they've all been standard size/configuration. In fact, all the laptop HDs I've replaced have been identical in size/shape.
    Transferring your friend's data probably won't work, unless it's an identical model, and even then it would have a different product key.
    Use the recovery disks that came with your machine.

4. zorlinshape

Not sure you understood what I asked (aside from the Dell custom hard drive shape question), let me clarify.

My question wasn't how to replace a hard drive.. I've already replaced it on my laptop with my friend's spare. I formatted it and installed XP. Now if I buy a new hard drive, can I just hook up the new one via enclosure and transfer all of my current hard drive's (the spare's) contents onto it? Or do I have to download some kind of special program that makes a HD image?

5. bigbear

bigbear

What you are asking is correct, you need third party software that will allow to clone from one drive to another,
    I can recommend Acronis True Image, it is very easy to use and you can try before you buy.
    You should be able to do the clone without having to buy:)
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice