1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing a drive with a larger one

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Spinnerm, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spinnerm

Spinnerm Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Got this issue I am trying to resolve, Here is what I need to do:

1> Have a system with Windows 7 Professional with 2 SSD drives of 120GB in size that the D drive is running out of space on. I need to replace the D drive with a larger 250Gb SSD drive of a different brand.

C Drive contains the operating system.
    D Drive contains a directory where I have installed all my games on and that is it. As far as I know there are no paging spaces etc on this drive used by the system.

2> I Tried to just copy all the data to the newer 250Gb drive and replace the D drive with it and that did not work, system say while booting up that I need to insert the OS Disk into the cdrom and fix the install as there is a missing hardware device.

3> Ive looked for a Backup tool that will make an image of the D drive and then restore it to the new drive but Im finding that none that I find can make an image and restore it to a different drive.

Does anyone know:
    1. Is what Im trying possible or am I going to have to reload the system entirely with the new drive installed as D?
    2. If I can make an image backup of the D Drive, what FREE program can I use to do that? Will that process work.

D drive is the 120GB SSD drive and E Drive is the 250Gb SSD drive C drive is the OS Only.

Any help on this would be great and Thanks in advance!!!

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

3. Spinnerm

Spinnerm Thread Starter

I have used Ghost before and from what I remember when restoring the drive you must use the same size(not sure of the size part) and type of drive as in you can use a OCS drive when the image was made from a Corsair drive. I have Ghost 11 and that is the case with that as far as I remember.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

make sure the new drive has the same partition type ntfs it can be a larger partition than the size being replaced.

5. Spinnerm

Spinnerm Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Got it "Fixed????" Sort of.....found out the reason this was happening.
    When I went into Disk Management I had the utility only showing the Disks Text and not the actual graphic of the hard drives. Once I took a look at the graphic I immediately saw the issue as plain as day yet in the text it was not showing up unless you looked at the size of the drives as it is formatted rather poorly:

Text in Disk Management:
    Volume Layout Filesystem Status Size
    Simple NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) 100Mb
    C: Simple NTFS Healthy (Boot, PageFile, CrashDump, Primary Part)111.79Gb
    D: Simple NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) 111.69Gb
    G: Simple NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) 931Gb

The issue is that I installed the system with BOTH drives powered up and on the system at the same time, when you do that Windows 7 AUTOMATICALLY puts that little 100Mb block of space on the SECOND drive drive D: and any time I tried to move it I would be removing that part of the OS. Damned Win7.
    I tried to do a image backup and restore with driveimage-xml and that did NOT work probably due to that 100Mb space that is installed on the D drive....If I had actually seen the Images of the disks I would have seen that 100Mb partition and would have know why sooner.

So, any way to recreate that 100Mb partition on the new disk I was installing??? Not sure exactly what that 100Mb partition is whether its the MBR or Partition tables or whatever but it seems like I will have to reload windows to remove that from the D drive then I will need to reinstall all the games on the D drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice