1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing a PSU- 20 pin STUCK!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZZeta, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZZeta

ZZeta Thread Starter

Hi guys
    I am trying to replace my current psu with a higher wattage version. This is my first time doing this type of thing, but I've done my research and felt pretty confident about going forth with the job on my own.

However, after unplugging everything, I got to the 20 pin connector, and it will NOT budge. I'm well aware of the little release lever, I even tried to pry it off in attempt to free the plug, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The plug will just not come out no matter how hard I pull, as if it has been glued in place. My computer is working fine after putting everything back together, so surely it's not fried or melted to the thing?
    Don't know if it matters, but I'm using an HP computer.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. chrome57

chrome57

If you feel confident, try removing all the devices from the motherboard, and taking it out of the case. It is easier to work on. Take note of where the front panel connections go and the rest is pretty simple. And yes they can be tight.
    For tips and pictures try tomshardware.com

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I use large needle nose vice grip pliers. Set the tension enough to hold the connector, but not so tight as to crush the connector. Make sure the looking clip is unlocked, and pull straight up with the pliers. The extra leverage by having the pliers attached is much more than you can apply with your fingers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice