1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing and Installing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by s4m, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s4m

s4m Thread Starter

I’m looking to upgrade my RAM inside of my PC, I already have 8gb inside. Would I just be able to unplug the current 8gb inside and replace it with 2 new 8gb sticks? I wanted to check what to do before I go ahead with anything, thanks in advance.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

We need to know the make and model of the PC or the motherboard if it's custom built.
    Also the full ID of the old and new ram sticks please.

3. s4m

s4m Thread Starter

Hi.
    I currently have a Gigabyte Motherboard model, F2A78M-HD2. I also know that the ram I am using is ddr3. I’m not sure where I am able to find the Full ID of the RAM.
    Thanks.

4. 2twenty2

2twenty2

From the manual:

MemoryŠ2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory

*Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed.

* The maximum 64 GB of system memory can be supported using 16 GB (or above) memory modules. GIGABYTE will update the memory support list on the official website when the memory modules are available on the market.

ŠDual channel memory architectureŠSupport for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333 MHz memory modulesŠ Support for AMD Memory Profile (AMP)/Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)

Manual - https://d2aw00qtgn0pb6.cloudfront.net/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-f2a78m-hd2_v.3.x_e.pdf

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can ID the ram inside with CPU-Z free version from here :- https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Use the purple download buttons on the left of the webpage.
    Click the SPD tab.
    Post the part number(s) please.

You will have to look on the sticks for the new ram ID.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice