1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing CPU and Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eggles, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eggles

eggles Thread Starter

I've been looking at replacing them. My question is about any problems that may crop up. Something about Legacy (my bios atm is legacy) and UEFI? And how to fix it, preferably without having to reinstall windows and everything else, though I'd understand if there is no way getting around this

The ones i'm looking at are the:
    Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor
    ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Maximus X Hero D4 ATX Motherboard

Oh, I am aware that I'd have to buy new RAM too, just incase that came up. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Custom Build.
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16321 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB SSD(42 GB Free); D: 931 GB HHD (449 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., GRYPHON Z87
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Older hardware involved but take a look at the tutorial of crjdriver at the link below;

Moving a Windows Install or Swapping Motherboards Without a Clean Install

Legacy and UEFI BIOS changes come about when wanting to boot from a Windows ISO on a USB thumb drive, cancelling secure boot/swapping from UEFI to Legacy boot are often required before the MB will boot from the USB device.

Looking at your C: drive you not only have Windows on the SSD but also programs/personal data, Windows 10 still has 7+ years of updates to come and at some point in the near future you are going to run low on free storage space on the SSD an therefore unable to update, if me I would back up my personal data on the SSD and then do a clean install of Windows 10 and the drivers etc for the new MB.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is even possible to convert a legacy install to a uefi type install. From win10 build 1703 on, this can be done. It does require a reasonable level of skill working in the cmd prompt or as it is called now powershell. I did this on one of my own systems and it does work well. Post back if you want detailed instructions.

FWIW, I would opt for the clean install however that is up to you. You do understand that even if you move the install, you will need to activate windows again, correct?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice