Replacing fan in Cooler Master V8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phixgrrrl

Danielle
How does one do this? I have a cpu fan error on bootup so I cleaned the inside of the pc w/compressed air but still got the error. The heatsink is huge and CM's site doesn't say how to replace it. I've been told that, in general, you just remove 2 screws but then read somewhere else you need to actually remove the cooler from the motherboard, which is hard to believe to just get to a fan.

---------

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4093 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series , 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 220825 MB; D: Total - 715401 MB, Free - 636440 MB; L: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 282938 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Crosshair III Formula, Rev 1.xx, 101600350000502
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

DoubleHelix

Banned
The CPU fan is the processor fan. It has nothing to do with the case. It should be attached to the heatsink on the processor.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Looks like the fan is in the middle. You don't want to be yanking on the thing while it's screwed the motherboard. Take it off if you're going to replace the fan.

phixgrrrl

Danielle
Ok well I'm kind of a newbie at this. How do I remove it? Do I unscrew everything? Do I have to use thermal paste and all that?

If you trust yourself with tools, there is a video of how to remove the fan here, and a discussion on the Coolermaster forum here.
If your mobo/RAM doesn't obstruct them, you should be able to get to the screws underneath without removing the heatsink itself. Make sure you are earthed and don't contact any other components however.

Tanis

Shane
My first question would be, is the fan actually spinning when you turn the machine on?

Next, where exactly is the fan plugged in (on the motherboard or to a 4 pin Molex direct from the power supply)?

Have you had this error (assume is a warning when you first switch on) since you first got the machine or has it recently started? If you have always had it, and the fan is definately spinning, I would hazard a guess that it is possibly not connected to the correct CPU fan socket on the motherboard (definately the case if its powered by a larger 4 pin molex from the power supply), if it isn't then the BIOS can't see the fan and will alarm. This alarm can be switched off.

I would suspect that the fan is working OK, if it wasn't then there is a good chance the CPU would overheat and the system would automatically shutdown.

phixgrrrl

Danielle
Thank you for the links ccube. I'll look it over with a friend who is supposed to help me.
Tanis: On the coolermaster site for that model, it says its a 4 pin connector. In the manual it references plugging the 4 pin connector for the fan into the mb.
I've had this error for only 5 months; I've had the machine since late 2009.

Tanis

Shane
Ahh OK, if you have had the machine running without the error beep and haven't changed where the fan is plugged in, then it shouldn't be the problem I was looking at, at least we have ruled that one out before you potentially spend any money :)

phixgrrrl

Danielle
Well if it just started beeping, and it's plugged in correctly, I would think I'd have to replace it yes? And my friend couldn't make it to look at it yet. Said he would help me this week. I'll let you know as soon as he does.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts