1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing G series router with N series router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aroominyork, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aroominyork

aroominyork Thread Starter

I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless router which works fine with my PCs which have G series network adapters. But with my laptop with an N series network adapter the signal disconnected every 20 seconds then reconnected; this was only a problem using it at home – everywhere else it connected well. I solved this by using a G series PCMCIA when at home. So far so good.

Now my wife has been given a work laptop which has the same problem. She can’t use a PCMCIA because the laptop has been set to stop her installing the software. So… should we get an N series router? Is there any reason it wouldn’t let us both work PCMCIA-free? And if we should go ahead, any advice on what specs I should get or avoid?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Are you using Windows to manage the wireless connection or a 3rd party client utility?

Regards,
    Rollin

3. aroominyork

I'm using Windows.

4. Jason08

Jason08

It might help to have an N router. I don't think a G router would have compatibility with a N router for wireless.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There should be no issue connecting an 802.11n equipped computer to an 802.11g router. AAMOF, I do that here every day.

Is your 802.11n adapter internal to the laptop, or is it an add-on card?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  7. JohnWill

I have the D-Link DIR-615 and the ZyXEL NBG-415N, both 802.11n routers. They both connect to a variety of 802.11g and 802.11n clients.

I also have the Actiontec MI424WR and a ZyXEL P330W, both 802.11g routers. They too connect to the same mix of 802.11g and 802.11n clients.

Unless there's something unusual going on, most WiFi clients should interconnect.

8. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Currently ALL N routers are compatible with G routers. 802.11n has not been ratified yet, so if the router is described as wireless, it must support A, B or G.

Aroominyork, I am willing to bet that your problem is with your router. According to quite a few folks (http://www.petitiononline.com/dg834gt/petition.html), that router has some problems. Most folks I know replaced this with an ASDL modem and a good wireless router.

Courtney

9. aroominyork

I got the router from Sky, so I figured I should try to get them to replace it. I'm in the middle of hammering this out with them, but the only alternative they have is the 'Phase 2' release of the same router - I have the Phase 1 now. Do you have any idea if they sorted out this problem with the second release?

10. JohnWill

Well, it's a better shot than the model you have now, right? :D

11. aroominyork

So... Sky provided the Phase 2 router and it holds a constant wireless signal on the laptop. Yee-hah! Time for the 'but'... but, my Dell Dimension 5000 desktop (3GB Pentium 4; 1MB RAM; XP Home, SP3) won't connect to it (it had no problem connecting to the Phase 1 router). This desktop has an external wireless adapter - a Dell 1450 dual-band UBS2.0 adapter - and receives a pretty weak signal. I am sitting next to it now using my laptop which shows 3 bars of signal while the desktop only shows 1 bar. When I try to connect the desktop to wireless it doesn't get past Acquiring Network Address. Can I get some help please?

12. JohnWill

If you're getting one bar of signal, you are having signal strength issues. How far from the router are you? FWIW, my expperience with USB thumb sized adapters are they don't do that well at any range.

13. aroominyork

I'm a floor away in a reasonably large house. But since I get 3 bars on the laptop sitting at the same place I too reckon it's the adapter. What should I replace it with?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have the adapter connected directly to the PC try a short USB extension cable so that you can see if a small position change makes a big difference in the signal strength.

15. aroominyork

I've run the adapter across the room to the best position, to test the signal before getting a 3m extension cable to run around the wall). I've got online but the signal still shows as low or very low, so I guess I need a more powerful adapter. That seems to take me back to the question of what adapter I should get. (Is a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO USB Adaptor (looking at eBay) the kind of thing?)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice