1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing hard drive and DVD-RW on Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro v2030

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lndngrm, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lndngrm

lndngrm Thread Starter

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro v2030 which is slowly dying: I've already replaced the fan and now the hard disk has died completely. Considering the DVD-RW drive has now decided to stop reading DVDs, I've decided it's time to replace both the hard disk and the DVD-RW. I know it's probably cheaper in the long-run to just buy a new laptop, but I'm taking vengeance on this one's numerous shortcomings by refusing to let it die!

According to the manufacturer's website (http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/service...O/Amilo-Pro/Amilo_Pro_V2030.htm#Specification), the old hard drive - a 40gb Samsung disk - was SATA 150. I've been looking around for a new disk and I quite like the look of a Western Digital 320gb drive (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136790) - however, this is SATAII and thus SATA 3 Gbit/s specification. I've read elsewhere that the new specification is often backwards-compatible, but that some older SATA controllers can't negotiate the speed and may require a jumper. Can anyone advise me on whether or not my Amilo Pro v2030 is such an affected system - or can I buy the SATAII drive and have it work fine without a jumper? Furthermore, will it run at at the old 150 spec or does my system's components support SATAII natively?

Lastly, in terms of replacing the DVD-RW drive: I know that my drive is a Lite-On but I'm not sure of the model number. Getting to the drive requires removal of all sorts of components and I'd rather not do this until I have a new drive to replace it with. I've looked at a couple of new drives but they're either IDE or SATA interface: can anyone advise me on which interface I need in order to be compatible with my system? Again, I can't yet take out the old drive to see what the interface was - and as the laptop is effectively dead at present, I can't turn it on to check either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance for reading through all my queries.

James

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You will want to stick with sata1 for the hard drive.
    I have seen some desktop drives with a compatability jumper,
    but never seen a laptop drive with one.

The DVD drive appears to be a standard IDE PATA slim drive.
    You can get something like this.
    DVD drive
    And swap the face plate.
    Expensive.
    Might want to do a search for it.
    You can probably find it cheaper.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/823962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice