1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacing hard drive and transferring applications

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jctl, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jctl

jctl Thread Starter

I have a 4-year-old Thinkpad T40 running windows XP pro, and when I had it repaired a little while ago, the technician recommended that I replace the hard drive, which was on the verge of failing, and reinstall windows.
    To do this, I've bought a new hard drive and a enclosure for my old drive. I've also got IBM recovery CDs, so I can format the new drive, install windows, and get the laptop back to an "as-purchased" state. I had planned on putting the old, corrupted drive in the USB enclosure and running it as a slave drive to transfer my data.
    Here's my question -- What's the best way to transfer applications from my old drive to my new drive? I will be able to do a fresh install from discs or the web for some of my programs, but not all. There are application transfer programs out there, but they seem to depend on having to computers, which I won't -- I'll just have the one computer with the new drive as master and the old drive as slave.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. PePeLePuu

PePeLePuu

Well, you could create a backup of the current setup. Click start\run , type NTbackup, and complete a full system backup, If you could get an external hard-drive create a ghost image of the old hard-drive, install the new HD, and then dump the new image onto it. There are a few other tricks you could use as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice