1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oneoldman, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

I need new hard drive for power spec pc pentium 2

I know less than nothing about hard drives but I do have technical aptitude and can replace it myself.

Question: How interchangeable are hard drives? I see one for 73 dollars from an advertiser...40 gbyte.Maxtor.# 6EO40L0

I'd buy this one if some tech herein will confirm that some or most of these are intercgangeable.

Thanks...maybe!

One added comment..I also have an e machine from 1999 vintage that needs a hard drive as wqell, thoguh this particular one will still work intermittently.... any suggestions???

Oneoldman

2. $teve

$teve

will this be a 2nd hard drive?
    most drives will work ok alongside eachother..... ask the dealer what speed the drive is,if he dosent know,go to another store.
    you want to deal with someone who knows about the item he is trying to sell you............in my experience most do not.
    the fastest drives today are 15000 rpm but a maxtor 7500 is a good buy.

3. n2gun

n2gun

You will be able to amke it work though you may need the software from the manufacterer of the drive in order to get the computer to recognize the drive. The bios may not recognize it without using it. The older computers were limited to smaller drives and seeing it is a pentium 2 it more than likely falls in that catgory.

If you go to the link below, you will find you can get a Western Digital 40 gig for $64. I like them a little better than Maxtor.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

4. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

Jerry..I e mailed the id from the hd that I removed this afternoon from pc cabinet..it's a W/D Caviar 36400 13328 drive parameters...15 heads..6448.6 mb

and hope they can recommend a substitute...the need for a driver to get it running is a horse of a different color...I thought I'd be able to simply plug it in and then look for some advice on how to format it.

The other machine I have is an e machine and it came with an installation disk...all done automatically...so..if I end up with a HD that I can use, I may have to get back to you for "walking me through" the formatting of it. Stay with me..I may need more help.

73s

W8YPW

\Joe

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Joe, I think you've got a different perspective on hard drives than really exist. They don't take drivers. Usually the new drive will ship with a setup disk, you connect the new drive on the same cable with the old drive....following the jumper instructions, and you can easily and safely transfer everything to the new one. As mentioned above, you may have to use the overlay program on the new one, but this won't stop you from copying the contents of the old one to the new one........

6. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

A much better solution than using any Dynamic Disk Overlay (DDO) software supplied by the disk manufacturer is to install a controller card such as the one from Promise - ATA133 Ultra.

The advantages are:
    You do not have the hassle of the DDO.
    Newer disks are generally ATA 100 or ATA133. With the DDO, you disk will run at the speed the motherboard controller permits which on your system is likely to be ATA33 or 66.
    The Promise controller card will take disks upto 137 GB (but do check that out). http://www.promise.com

These cards are not that expensive nowadays.

7. buckaroo

buckaroo

8. buf

buf

I don't mean to suggest that I know a lot about this subject but doesn't Joe have to be concerned with the size of the new hard drive because his older computer may not recognize a newer more powerful hard drive and larger capacity??!!
    n2gun touched on this and it just may be a problem for his PC in it's ability to recognize and use the larger GB hard drive.
    Whatever you learn before you buy/install the new hard drive, I wish you luck in installing and using it.

9. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

I think my best bet might be, considering my lack of knowledge and understanding of this process I'd best get hold of Microcentern in Columbus Ohio where I bought the PC and let them tell me what I ought to buy...The hard drive that I have removed from the pc has storage at less than 10 gbytes..I think 6.8 or so...I'd really like to be able to simply plug the new one into the hardware and attrach the plugs....then look for help, step by step for formatting the hard drive...I'll let you know, on this board how it works out.

Thanks again for the help

Joe

10. n2gun

n2gun

11. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

Tnx Jerry...That looks like what I need...absorbing new material at my age is a slower process than it was decades ago, but this looks like something I can handle.

Not being sure about the replacement hard drive for the pentium 2, I ordered a replacement for my E machine which has an erratic and noisy operation, but still functions..That one is a model 533i and the replacement is called out precisely for 59.50 plus shipping...When it gets here I;'ll try it in the pentium 2 and see if I can use the CD formatting disk for it..if funtional, I'll proceed from there and look for one that'll be compatable with the Pent 2. I'll keep in touch and lert you know how the learning curve plots in my continuing education.

My wife has a new Dell that I bought a couple months ago and we have high hopes that it continues to function very well for the near future.

Thanks again for you much appreciated help

Joe

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, unless my system is very confused, the Promise Ultra-133 TX2 will run with 200gig WD and 160gig Maxtor drives. :)

13. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

n2gun:

Thanks for making me out to be a muddy nutter (madmud). The name actually is MAHMUD.

johnwill:

I am not too sure about the max the Promise card will support therefore I qualified my comments with "(but do check that out)."

14. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

My new hard drive arrive...an 8 gbyte unit..have installed it physically and have formatted it according to print out data..it all went well untill the time came where it instructed me to go to D: drive...type setup with the win98 CD in D: drive...and the message came back, at first try...Bad command or file name....then I couldn't get D" back on screen..the message says "invalid drive specification".

THis is the only hard drive in the machine.

I was delighted at how well the formatting started out...am now back to square one....or maybe 1 and 1/2...any ideas?

Joe

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you boot with a boot disk? If so, try typing

E:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice