1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darmy8, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darmy8

Darmy8 Thread Starter

Can I replace hard drive in xps 8500 desktop with
    Seagate ST4000NM0033 4TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Dell hard drive?

12 product ratings

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What exactly are you trying to do?
    The more detailed and specific you are, the easier it'll be for someone here to help you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Darmy8

Darmy8 Thread Starter

Could you please explain steps for cloning newly installed hard drive , do I put the old drive in secondary position first? Had to replaced failed hard drive in my xps 8500 desktop because wouldn't boot system, just received clicking sound, then finally wouldn't turn on . After replacing hard drive with Seagate ST4000NM0033 4TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s 3.5" SATA Hard Drive, turned on computer and receieved following message "Start PXE over IPv4" , could you explain what message means and if it has to do with blank hard drive? I need some help cloning drive and getting computer working again.

New Hard drive installed in Dell XPS 8500 Desktop 3rd Gen I7, running Windows 10 Pro OS.
    This computer has been backed up on an external hard drive and also have an old boot flash drive sent to me by Dell several years ago when system wouldn't boot. If I can use either of these backups for recovery please let me know and I greatly appreciate any suggestions or help you are kind enough to share.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    IF everything was working normally, you would boot from the old HDD with the new HDD connected internally or externally. Then clone the drive using a tool such as Macrium Reflect. After the clone is complete, shut down and put the new HDD as primary and remove the old drive. Boot and enjoy.

What you noted above is a failed drive, which you aren't likely to get any data from, much less clone.

The error you are seeing is because the new drive does not contain an OS (ie: Windows) and the PC can't boot from HDD. The boot order contains network boot and the PC is trying to boot from the network.

You need to install Windows and then restore your backups. If the boot flash drive contains the OS, you may be able to install Windows from that drive. Otherwise, you will need the Windows Recovery Discs (if you created them when you received the laptop) or an actual Windows installation disc.

5. Darmy8

Darmy8 Thread Starter

I replaced failenI want to get computer r
    thank you so much for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice