replacing hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

asbreland

I was given a computer setup for Windows ME that had no hard drive. I want to install an old hard drive that has Windows 98 on it. When I start the computer it states invaled system disk.

Hulk701

Banned
First, you need a hard drive. Does the computer have one now? IF so, does it have Windows 98 on it?

If not, you can probably begin by Fdisking, formating and scandisking it.

Here are some instructions. You might want to read them and print them before you begin. (y)

http://www.hardwarehell.com/fdisk.htm

Just to add, its not a good idea to install a hard drive that has a version of Windows on it that was not actually installed on the computer you are trying to boot it on.

Best to install Windows fresh on the drive, once it is installed.

This is because it will try and boot with all the wrong drivers being loaded, that does not often work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online