1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by STUPIDGIRL, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

Hello,
    My sis in laws computer has a damaged hard drive so she asked me if I could replace it for her if she bought a new one. I know I can replace it but my problem is how do I find out which ones are compatable with here computer? She has an HP Pavilion 6540. She has a new computer but she wants to keep this one running for the kids to share cuz they're always fighting over who gets to get on the computer next ( they have 6 kids). She just wants an inexpensive one, so any thoughts?
    Also, once we install the HD will she be able to reinstall her OS from the disks that came with her computer?
    Thanks!

~STUPIDGIRL

2. starcab

starcab

Any ATA100 or ATA133 hard disk will do.Just decide how many GB's you need ;)
    If she has some Windows CD ,she will be able to install Windows on the new hard disk.

3. johnpost

johnpost

you want an IDE drive, that machine came with a 10GB hard
    drive so anything that size or larger will do.

currently also in stores are SATA hard drives, so don't
    accidentally get that type.

the cd that came with the machine will restore, in this
    case create because the drive is new, the machine as
    it came from the factory.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One thing to keep in mind, depending on the age of the machine and the BIOS, you may be limited in the capacity of the hard disk. Since this is an older machine, you might want to verify the BIOS date to determine what size hard disk it's compatible with. There is no BIOS upgrade listed on the HP site for your machine, so you may be stuck with what you have. My guess is you need to limit yourself to 120gigs or less for the disk size. A bios date of 1999 or earlier will limit you to a 32gig hard disk.

5. STUPIDGIRL

Hi,
    Thanks for the info, I've been looking into the hard drives. There are alot out there, Do you have any suggestions? She'd looking to spend around $40 and her computer is an HP Pavilion 4540, windows 98 OS, BIOS Falcon 1 software build 2.20.10. Please just tell me what to get for her and I'll get it... I trust your opinions :) ;) :( :confused:

~STUPIDGIRL

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  7. STUPIDGIRL

Those looked good, but I do think that I need to keep it to 40 gb or less. I tried putting in an 80 gb in mine and I couldn't get my os that came with my computer to reinstall on it. So I will tell her about the 40 gb hd and see what she says.
    Thanks!

P.S. What's the difference when it says "oem"?

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

OEM just means it is supplied ready to install for a new "original equipment manufacturer", no box or disgnostic software or instruction book.

Never bought one that was not OEM actually, the software (if its ever needed) is downloadable free from the makers website. But just check that the jumper is set as Master or Cable Select, the same setting as the old one (not necessarily the same pin locations, the diagram is on the drive label that you can work out where it should go)

9. JohnWill

You really need to check the BIOS date to see if you can install those larger drives. I suspect for sure you will be limited to 127gig or less, but it could be worse if it's a 1999 or earlier BIOS.

When you boot, the BIOS date may be displayed on the screen, hit the Pause key to keep it there.

10. STUPIDGIRL

My computer says it has a BIOS "Cognac 2.30.57" What is the year of that BIOS? And how can I check for an upgrade?

I recently tried to put an 80 gb hd in my computer but my hp pavilion recovery disks would not restore it. I did manage to get win xp installed but it was borrowed from someone and now I can't upgrade or download anything MS because it says it is an illegal copy. I like the win xp and the 80 gb hd but It will cost me about $80 to get "legal" and right now I don't have it.

BTW, My sis in laws hd wasn't the problem it was her recovery disk. So I put her hd in my computer and used my recovery disk and it installed fine. only one problem, When I put the hd back in her computer everything seems to be fine except that it won't recognize the monitor (m70) and it has the screen resolution set at 640 x 480 and 16 bit color. How can I get this changed?

P.S. her computer BIOS is Falcon 1 software build 2.20.10

Thanks!

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry but we cannot condone "borrowing" someone elses Windows disk (it is illegal), possibly a moderator may close the thread.

However on the issue of installing XP on your PC then transferring to hers, that is a recipe for disaster, as the different hardware will cause mayhem. Only when both PC's are 100% identical will it work.

The screen resolution issue is that the wrong drivers are being forced into her chipset, that could also be the case for many other devices that will prove unreliable unless Windows is installed on the same PC

12. STUPIDGIRL

I only borrowed the winxp to see if there was a problem with the hd or the os, I am definately not going to keep it this way. I don't like not being able to download my updates and such. And the os that I installed on my sis in laws hd while it was installed in my machine is win98 and yes the problem is the wrong drivers and such, but we did determine that she did not have a damaged hd, it is just her recovery cd. Apparently it is damaged.

So does anyone know where she can purchase a cd-rom of win98 at a reasonable price? Yes, she definately wants to stay with win98.

~susiejo

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you contacted HP to see what the price of the recovery Pavilion 6540 CDs are ??
    Was this originally loaded with W98 ?

14. JohnWill

Look on eBay, you should find W98 there.

As for the BIOS date, try downloading and running SIW.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice