Solved Replacing HDD with SSD in Dell XPS 8700 Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oldjunk

Mike
I've never done this HDD/SSD replacement procedure before, so would appreciate some assistance. I want to purchase a new 2TB SSD as the replacement and copy the old HDD's files to the new SSD. What is the best quality 2TB SSD that is compatible with this Dell XPS 8700? Will I need to buy a SSD caddie or extra cables? How do I best transfer the old files to the new drive. The less complicated, the better. Also, price is a consideration, but I want a high quality SSD.

Couriant

James
Can you confirm the service tag of the machine? You may need to buy a caddie for the drive but any SSD should work, but it will also depend on the Windows you are looking to use

oldjunk

Mike
Can you confirm the service tag of the machine? You may need to buy a caddie for the drive but any SSD should work, but it will also depend on the Windows you are looking to use
Yes. The service tag is #844VJ02. Manufacture date is March 21, 2014.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Mike:

According to its support site, that Dell XPS 8700 originally came with a Seagate 2 TB HDD.
There's no mention of it coming with a second storage drive.

Is that HDD the only storage drive inside it?
You said you want to transfer your personal data from the current HDD to a SSD, but you didn't say where Windows 10 is installed.

--------------------------------------------------

Is your computer like the one in this YouTube video?

How To Replace Dell XPS 8700 HDD drives with Cloned SSDs Using the Sabrent Offline Clone system

That person replace two 2TB hard drives in his computer with two SSDs.

My brother was trying to clone the hard drive in his wife's Dell laptop to a new SSD but all the free programs wouldn't do it because it had the windows 10 partitions plus a DELL partition,the programs would only allow so many partitions. He ended up getting a Wave Link 334U-Red offline clone/Duplicator, Put the two drives in and made a perfect copy of her Dell hard drive. They only go for about $30. https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-st334u-red-us-dock/p/0VN-0069-00014
As for SSD's the Samsung 870 is usually the most recommended, The Prices have gone up,you could get a 870 EVO SATA 2.5" SSD 2TB for about $199(in march 2021) but now I see them going for about $289-299. You can get a little cheaper model 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 2TB for $189 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R7FKHx/samsung-870-qvo-2-tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-77q2t0bam

oldjunk

Mike
Is your computer like the one in this YouTube video?

How To Replace Dell XPS 8700 HDD drives with Cloned SSDs Using the Sabrent Offline Clone system

That person replace two 2TB hard drives in his computer with two SSDs.
Thanks, MisterEd 51,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I was accidentally locked-out of my account for a few days.

I'm following the video you posted. Bought all of the same components mentioned. Everything's arrived and I'll be executing the process this weekend.

Thanks again for posting this YouTube link. I'll get back with results.

oldjunk

Mike
My brother was trying to clone the hard drive in his wife's Dell laptop to a new SSD but all the free programs wouldn't do it because it had the windows 10 partitions plus a DELL partition,the programs would only allow so many partitions. He ended up getting a Wave Link 334U-Red offline clone/Duplicator, Put the two drives in and made a perfect copy of her Dell hard drive. They only go for about $30. https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-st334u-red-us-dock/p/0VN-0069-00014
As for SSD's the Samsung 870 is usually the most recommended, The Prices have gone up,you could get a 870 EVO SATA 2.5" SSD 2TB for about $199(in march 2021) but now I see them going for about $289-299. You can get a little cheaper model 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 2TB for $189 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R7FKHx/samsung-870-qvo-2-tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-77q2t0bam
Thanks. I bought the same 2TB SanDisk SSD shown in MisterEd 51's YouTube video. It cost $178.00 on eBay. Saved $49.00 because I didn't buy the same SSD on Amazon.

oldjunk

Mike
I just transferred data from the old 2TB HDD to the new 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD using the Sabrent offline clone system, shown in MisterEd 51's linked video above. Everything went smooth as glass with no complications. The cloning process took 5 hours and 8 minutes. I'd recommend these products to anyone having similar issues with a failing HDD. Just fantastic!DSCN1357.JPGDSCN1359 - Copy (2).JPG

Last edited:
I just transferred data from the old 2TB HDD to the new 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD using the Sabrent offline clone system, shown in MisterEd 51's linked video above. Everything went smooth as glass with no complications. The cloning process took 5 hours and 8 minutes. I'd recommend these products to anyone having similar issues with a failing HDD. Just fantastic!View attachment 289908View attachment 289909
I use individual hard drive and SSD external enclosures. However, I can see the appeal of using the clone system. For a lot of people like yourself that sure makes cloning a hard drive to an SSD easy. I bet your computer now boots faster with the SSD.

What are your plans for your hard drive? Are you going to put it back into the computer?

You mentioned failing hard drive. Is your hard drive failing? If so then you are lucky you were able to clone it before it stopped working. One time I failed to do that and lost everthing on a hard drive.

oldjunk

Mike
I use individual hard drive and SSD external enclosures. However, I can see the appeal of using the clone system. For a lot of people like yourself that sure makes cloning a hard drive to an SSD easy. I bet your computer now boots faster with the SSD.

What are your plans for your hard drive? Are you going to put it back into the computer?
No, certain sectors were starting to fail. It required daily repair procedures. I'll destroy it, then toss it. I have scores of these old HDDs. Get 'em out of the trash. That's where I get all of my computers, too. Find too many to keep. I collect vintage computers and audio components - all found in the trash.

Just found a 2002 Alienware 5620D Gaming Notebook last week. It gets 1600 X 1200 display resolution. Unusual for a machine nearly 20 years-old. Impossible to find a manual. I've searched all week online.DSCN1316.JPGDSCN1330.JPG

If you don't know what parts you have in your computer you could run Speccy on it.

Speccy
https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Somebody gave me an old laptop they paid $0.50 for at an auto junkyard. I salvaged the 250GB 2.5-inch hard drive and use it for backups for my old laptop. Before I reformatted it I scanned for and got the product keys for Windows 7 Home and Office 2007 Standard. I used the product keys and used them on another computer.

That reminds me. I need to run diagnostic on that hard drive to make sure that it is "healthy".

I built a desktop computer in 2002. I installed Windows XP Pro on it. In 2012 I upgrade the RAM to 2GB and upgraded it to Windows 7 Home. It is slow with Windows 7 but at least it works. I did the same with the laptop I bought in 2004 that had Windows XP Home. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and upgraded it to Windows 7 Home.

It is OK to play around with old computers but if you want to use them on the Internet they need to at least have Windows 7 on them. If you don't have the money to buy a more recent version of Windows you can always install Linux on it. The biggest advantage of Linux is that it is free.

oldjunk

Mike
If you don't know what parts you have in your computer you could run Speccy on it.

Speccy
https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Somebody gave me an old laptop they paid $0.50 for at an auto junkyard. I salvaged the 250GB 2.5-inch hard drive and use it for backups for my old laptop. Before I reformatted it I scanned for and got the product keys for Windows 7 Home and Office 2007 Standard. I used the product keys and used them on another computer.

I built a desktop computer in 2002. I installed Windows XP Pro on it. In 2012 I upgrade the RAM to 2GB and upgraded it to Windows 7 Home. It is slow with Windows 7 but at least it works. I did the same with the laptop I bought in 2004 that had Windows XP Home. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and upgraded it to Windows 7 Home.

It is OK to play around with old computers but if you want to use them on the Internet they need to at least have Windows 7 on them. If you don't have the money to buy a more recent version of Windows you can always install Linux on it. The biggest advantage of Linux is that it is free.
I've run the Arctic Fox and My Pal web browsers on XP and Lion OS's pretty successfully. Of course, there still are limitations - things like good streaming. But they function for basic web surfing.

https://www.mypal-browser.org/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online