1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacing laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamialex, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

Hello,

I've already posted a message here on monday about my dying HDD and now that it is officially dying, I'm going to replace it myself and since this will be my first time I have few questions. My dying HDD is a Toshiba HM100JC 100GB 2.5" IDE ATA-100 5400rpm 8MB cache.

First, I'm still not sure about what HDD to buy, it surely depends on people's opinion but does anyone know about those 2 :

Western Digital 160GB 2.5" Hard Drive IDE 5400rpm 8MB Cache
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131309

Toshiba 120GB 2.5" 8MB 5400RPM U100
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...000,4294957678

I read about heat issues with WD but was it only one person's opinion or is there a problem with WD and heat?
    Does anyone know a good website where they would have reviews about HDD? Which ones are the quietest?

Once I've bought this HDD, I was told I would need to buy an external drive caddy, this one seems good :
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125132

I have Acronis installed on my laptop for doing a clone. Will I just have to plug the new HDD into the laptop with the external drive caddy and start cloning? Or do I need to format and partition the new one first?
    And once this is done do I just replace the old HDD with the new one and then pray that the laptop starts well?

Thank you!!!
    Alexandra

2. mowersman

mowersman

hi could you repost the links as some dont work
    the if your laptop has two hdd bays you wont need a caddy
    also what laptop have you got .what os
    thanks

3. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have no idea whether Acronis would clone to a drive in factory-new condition in a USB enclosure. I've never tried it; but, I would recommend you burn an Acronis image to CD/DVD, instead. Then recover that image to the new drive after it is installed. That way, you need no external enclosure. If you choose this option, be sure to select to put the Acronis rescue program onto the CD/DVD.

Set Options Manually> Next> Media Components> select Place Acronis TrueImage Home (full version) on media and select Place Acronis one-click restore on media. I have already set those options in mine as the default options: Tools> Options> Default backup options.

Or, you could put the old drive into the enclosure and the new drive into the laptop and then clone from enclosure to internal. The first option above would save the cost of an enclosure. But, if the computer doesn't run well enough to burn an image, that first option is out.

The most important factor in the selection of the drive is to know whether yours is SATA or PATA.

5. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

That Acronis image to CD/DVD sounds good! Thanks! My HDD can still burn DVDs. I have juste set up the options like you said but I'm not too sure what to do after that, do I just do a backup and it will create the image and then I can burn this image? what type of file is this image? can it be burnt directly onto the dvd?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Personally I think the WD handles heat and voltage better than a Toshiba drive and they are all I buy.
    I would make the image file to the external drive and then restore it to the new one mounted in laptop but be sure to restore the mbr and the image file so it will boot. There is no need to partition and format the drive first as you will be restoring a partitioned and formatted image file.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Burns directly to DVD. It may take more than one, depending on the size of the backup image.

Start Acronis, select backup and follow the on-screen instructions to back up your computer.

8. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

When I create the backup file .tib directly onto the DVD will it make the DVD bootable? Or would it be better to create this image onto the hard drive and then burn onto the DVD with Nero to make the disc bootable? I'm not sure if I'm clear but this is very confusing for me. Also I thought the backup created by Acronis would take care of the MBR.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If you do that, it will place everything on the media that you need, including the boot files.

To save space, you might also put pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in the exclude list. These are large files and are never needed. They are recreated on every boot anyway. I've restored at least 15 Acronis images where I excluded these file and they have never been missed.

Instead of doing the above, you can set up Acronis so that it always does your preferences without your having to set them every time. Here's how:
    Start Acronis
    Click Tools on the menu bar
    Click Options
    Click Default Backup Options
    Under Source File Exclusion, I enter these files:
    *.tmp
    *.~
    *.bak
    *.old
    pagefile.sys
    hiberfil.sys
    Under Compression Level, I select Maximum
    I set Backup Priority to Low
    Under Archive Splitting, I choose 4.7 Gigs
    Under Media Components, I select "place Acronis TureImage . . . and Place one-click restore . . .

You may prefer different settings; but, those are mine.

Whatever you set in there will be done on all images from that point forward.

10. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

Thanks a lot!!!
    I found out that my HDD was still under warranty even though my laptop was not. This is crazy that they don't tell you that when you buy a laptop. Anyway, I'm sending my HDD to Samsung and hopefully they'll clone the old one onto the new one, I can always dream I guess! But I have burnt the image onto a DVD so everything should be fine.

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

In your dreams.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice