1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing Laptop Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skullmyst45, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skullmyst45

skullmyst45 Thread Starter

I have a Laptop: 1.6 GHz Toshiba Satellite model M45-S169. I play WoW on it, and to play it more smoothly, i need swap in a faster processor. I have read posts on other forums where people have done this quite sucessfully. However, to make it work, you need to install a processor of the same family/class as the one it came with.
    Now, i have an Intel Celeron M 360 (1.6 Ghz). I was looking on google and found two 1.8 Ghz ones (also Intel Celeron M)(ending soon, might be gone by the time u try this link):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-CELERON-M...4QQihZ009QQcategoryZ86713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    and, quite to my suprise, i found a 2.8 Ghz one :eek: (also Celeron M).
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Celeron-M...6QQihZ002QQcategoryZ86713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    My Questions are:
    1. Will the 1.8 Ghz one work if i swap it in? I dont know why it wouldn't considering it is the same make and model...
    2. Will the 2.8 one work? Seems like a whole 1 Ghz jump would screw something up in my comp or something bad would happen. (just seems to good to be true.).
    Any input, explanations and answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

What is the Mainboard it that Machine as this is the place to start for CPU Compatibility.
    Download Belarc Advisor (Free) and run it.It should give you the MB.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Also 1.6Gig to 1.8Gig is hardly worth while as you will not notice any difference.
    Start thinking instead of a more memory.
    WOW is a fairly intensive game.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Even if the 2.8 GHz one would work, it would either cause a meltdown or would speed-step down (to protect from the excessive heat) to about what you currently get. Remember that in a laptop there is simply no way to get rid of any heat, above which the laptop is designed to dissipate. Damage results.

I agree with the poster above, the Toshiba is not a gaming laptop, the limitation is the graphics as much as anything else.

4. coorrel

coorrel

5. skullmyst45

skullmyst45 Thread Starter

OK thanks everyone for the responses. However, it is not like i can just suddenly get a new computer now, it just doesn't work like that. :D So i gotta work w/ what i got.

What a coincidence! i had just downloaded that prog the day before! Well, my MB is:

Board: ATI SB400 Rev0.4b
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.50 08/11/05

To Sherry: I already have 1 gb of memory. However, when i look at my video card's specs, it says something about only using like 500-600 mb of my total 1 GB ram... I am wondering whether upgrading my memory to 1.5 or even 2 gigs would help, or would the video card still use the same amount (500-600) even with more memory installed?

Can i buy a new motherboard? seems like that would be very hard to intall on a laptop, and even if i did it successfully, would it do that overheating thing?

Also, i have heard that people can dedicate more memory to their video card's memory (ie 64-128 mb's) via the Bios. When i got into my bios tho, it did not have any option letting me change this. I tried updating the bios but it was tricky to intall (comp wouldnt let me boot from a cd). I will try again but i am wondering if its worth it? (to go through the process of updating the bios) Will the updated one give me that option?
    Again, any answers and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

6. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

I know your money is tight,and laptops are never the best for playing games.And on top of that most are Propriety Design and are difficult to work on at best.

If you need to be Portable all the time then rather than muck around with this one save up,lease,or borrow and get one that you will be happy with.

Your 1 Gig of Mem is ample so I suspect your situation will demend a better GFX Card.

In your BIOS check the AGP Apiture Settings.If you have an 128MB Card set the apiture to 128 ect....Also make sure the AGP Card is set to 8 Times if it is a AGP X 8 Card.

The short answer to your question is no it is not woth the hassle IMHO.

7. alperea

alperea

I'm trying to figure out the specs of the CPU so I can get it replaced too. I think if you get one that has the same FSB speed you should be okay. I am not sure about processor speed.

As for playing WoW, I play that game on this model laptop too. It actually doesn't run bad at all on mine. You have to really tweak the settings in WoW though. Try putting everything on low detail, then increasing what you want (terrain distance, level of detail etc) and see how that affects performance. You should be okay for most of the game, with the minor exception of very crowded cities (like stormwind right next to the auction house). You won't play games like crysis or battlefield 2142, but it will play HL2 pretty good as well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice