Replacing Linkstation Fan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Yorky

I have had a Buffalo Linkstation HD-H120LAN external hard disk for around 18 months and it works well, but now the internal fan sounds like a banshee :mad:

I would replace the fan, but I can't find how the heck to open the case.

Can anyone help?

Doug

Yorky

OK you guys - I managed to dismantle the Linkstation. Here's how:

Under the label on the back there is a screw - remove it.

Take off the base stand (slides)

Peel off the front label - there are two tiny croshead screws holding the U-shaped centre cover on.

Prise off the top and bottom parts of the U shape then lever off forwards.

The two halves of the clamshell are held together by 4 push in clips, then lift off the top section.

With a little care, you can extract the fan, still on its leads - it is a ADDA ADD412LX-G76 12 volt fan marked 0.07A.

Now if I can find a replacement ........

Reassembly is a reverse process.

Doug

Yorky (Doug) - did you ever find a supplier (or a suitable replacement) for your LInkstation fan? - I have the same problem - my Linkstation HD-120 has been in service for about 15 months - Linkstation tech support has not been able to help

No, I didn't find a replacement as it is a very low current device. I have resorted to switching off the Linkstation at night and this seems to allow the fan to self lubricate overnight and it is much quieter now.

Thinking again, it is very much like a laptop fan but 12 volt 0.07 amps????

Doug

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What size is the fan? I'll bet it's a generic fan and a replacement shouldn't be that hard to come by. FWIW, I doubt you have to find one with exactly 0.07A of current draw, another watt of power for the fan isn't going to tax the P/S that much.

From memory the fan is laptop fan size. I know that because I replace my laptop fan last year. As explained above. you can get at the fan quite easily.

Doug

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Measure the fan and do a search on Google. You'd be amazed at how many places sell these, since the fail pretty often. Without an exact size, it's pointless for me to look for one for you...

Thanks for the offer John, I'm sure I can find a fan if the curent draw is not important. For the time being it seems to have quietened marledly.

Doug

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can assure you, unless the fan is connected to a very touchy variable speed controller, that the difference between 0.07A and say 0.12A wouldn't make any difference at all. One point is the fans that draw more power will probably move more air, and also probably be a bit noisier.

I had the same worry when my linkstation HD120 failed after 15 months.

In the end I returned it, but there was the option of removing the drive and installing it in my PC - it seems to be a conventional drive.

This may enable you to clear the data from it.

Doug

Just finished changing out the fan in my Linkstation 250. A couple of notes on the instructions given elsewhere...

-- The exact replacement fan is available from Mouser Electronics

-- You have to peel off the front panel overlay to find the two small screws that hold the U-shaped band around the case. When I removed the panel on my Linkstation there was enough "sticky" left to put it back on when I was done. (Note that the two screws are really tiny - about the size of a grain of rice. You will need a cross-head jeweler’s screwdriver to get them off. The screwdriver in an eyeglass repair kit might work as well.)

-- The U-shaped band is held on to the case with L-shaped clips on the top and bottom legs of the band. After you remove the two tiny screws hidden under the front panel overlay, slide the U-shaped band toward the front of the drive (I had to pry mine with a screwdriver) then lift the top and bottom arms up until the clips clear the case and the U-shaped band should come right off.

-- To open the case, press in the tabs that lock the sides together and swing the case open like a book where the front panel is the spine of the book and opens last. The two halves of the case should come apart easily leaving one half containing the electronics, drive, etc.

-- The fan is held in with plastic clips built into the case. When you remove the fan note which side the label faces so when you install the new fan you can get the airflow in the right direction

-- There are three wires on the fan - red, black, and blue. I simply cut the wires to the old fan and spliced in the corresponding wires from the replacement fan.

-- When you reassemble the case, be sure that the power switch on the front panel is aligned with the corresponding hole in the front panel of the case.

Good luck!

Do you have a part number or other information that can help me find the fan you ended up purchasing from Mouser Electronics?

Thanks,
Chris

I went to find a replacement fan and couldn't find the part number or a vendor online. A friend and I called Buffalo and got the part number and the name of the vendor that still sells that part. I was successful in replacing the fan.

Part Number: AD0412LX-G76-LF
Vendor: Mouser Electronics

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online