1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replacing mobo, n00b q's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlxhammer, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlxhammer

dlxhammer Thread Starter

Hello, (be gentle im a noob @ building PC's)

A few months ago i had a computer store build a computer for me...

MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo
    AMD 3500
    x2 1gb corsair XMS ddr400 pc3200
    ATi x800pro
    SB audigy
    WD 120gb HD
    windows xp home edition
    floppy & cdrom, and dvdRW bla bla bla

So now its time to update my GPU, which i have done many times before on older systems
    inorder to do so i need a new mobo...never done before (card requires pci 16x slot)

new parts will be:
    ASUS A8R-MVP ATi (crossfire, incase i want a 2nd gpu)
    ATi X1800XT
    and a new psu ASUS atlus 550w

I am pretty familier on how to use the BIOS...memory settings, OCing, and voltages...
    The hardware installation seems pretty simple (by the mobo user guide) but should i do anything to my HD before i rip everything out and put it on the new mobo, like uninstall some things???
    I will ofcorse uninstall my current gpu (drivers/control center)
    But im not quite sure how i would go about installing windows....does it get installed to the MOBO? or is it on the HD (confused) :confused: and anyother things i should do to my current setup before starting to rebuild...
    also ive read that removing the heatsink and processor may be a bit challenging?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

2. bigbear

bigbear

If you feel confident to remove and install the components thats great , just remember to observe static precautions.
    Before starting if you have a SATA hard drive you might have make a floppy to install the sata drivers from the cd that comes with the new mobo, unless you have access to another pc. check the manual.
    Before installing the heatsink and cpu, remove all trace of thermal paste with an alcahol based product and apply new, remember not too much, two grains of rice size.
    You will need to reinstall your OS.
    When you have finished installing and are ready to boot, enter bios and change first boot to cdrom, insert your XP disc, save and exit and reboot.
    If you have a sata disc this is when you will need to use the floppy you made earlier,
    As windows loads watch the screen, it will ask "Do you want to load third party drivers press F6" , press F6 and follow onscreen instructions.
    You will get to a stage where it will ask if you want to make a partition, personally I would.
    If you create a partition of say 40g and install windows and all your applications to it ,' C'
    you can save all your data the other 80g 'D'.
    This way if in the future you need to reinstall windows for what ever reason you can do so without disturbing your data on 'D'.

3. buckfan1

buckfan1

Are you sure about that ASUS A8R-MVP ATi Ican not find this board?

4. bigbear

bigbear

5. buckfan1

buckfan1

Why can't he do a windows repair and not lose his data?

6. bigbear

bigbear

A repair is not going to remove the motherboard drivers etc for the old board.
    If he has a sata drive, the drivers have to be loaded before windows.
    If you want a partition its easier to do before windows is installed, unless you buy software to do it afterwards.
    If you know a better way please tell us, I am always keen to learn.

7. dlxhammer

dlxhammer Thread Starter

Well im not quite sure what sata is... dont think my HD is suet up for it... its only C: no others.
    Will reinstalling windows wipe out my HD?...
    Dont have any thermal paste, im sure i can get this at local pc store...? im gonna pick up some new 80mm fans and a static wrist band thing too....also do i need a static free pad to place under the mobo when installing parts?

8. bigbear

bigbear

How is your hard drive connected to the motherboard, is it a grey ribbon about two inches wide or is a thin red cable?
    Reinstalling windows will clean your hard drive.
    I personlly use an anti static mat, others will say you don't have just remember to ground yourself to discharge any static, its up to you.

9. ohheck

ohheck

weel - been a while since i build i box but i could have sworn ythat you can replace the board w/o having to reinstall windows (xp anyway) - this is what i'd do - worst that can happen is that you'd have to reinstall windows -
    before changing parts: uninstall video card drivers, go to device manager and uninstall: display adapters, ide controllers, ieee 1394 controller, network adapters, click on system devices and remove everything, usb controllers and whatever else.
    shut down windows - install your hardware and boot - windows should detect everything - run the disc that comes with the board to install the new drivers

10. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

if i was you id go with a nv motherboard with sli and get a 7800 gtx or gtx 512. Atis x1800 gets its *** smoked by nv right now even in crossfire one 7800 gtx beats it in alot of games and when you put 2 7800s together they kill. They do cost alot more tho. Also with crossfire you cant buy 2 basic x1800s to use you gota buy one master card and one reg x1800.

11. bigbear

bigbear

I take your point , but Iam not sure its the easyest route. If you have never preformed this before, having to delete drivers etc could in its self cause complications.
    I just feel the way I have discribed is the safest, but I am sure others will disagree.

12. dlxhammer

dlxhammer Thread Starter

Wide grey ribbon connected to motherboard... and i'd rather not lose my HD
    OhHecks way sounds simple but "windows SHOULD detect everything"....?
    best nv gtx card is 900+$ could buy 2 x1800's with that...
    neways my main concern is not wiping out my HD, is there a way around this?.
    i do have an old pc layin around to post back durring this process.

13. bigbear

bigbear

Ok your hard drive is not sata so ignore that part.
    If you want to give OhHecks way a go thats ok, just backup all your data before you start.

14. dlxhammer

dlxhammer Thread Starter

how would i go about backing up my HD? is there an option in windows? theres 70+gb of stuff on my hd... i wouldnt mind reinstalling games and other apps...but i wanna save all my screen shots/music/pics/game saves etc.

edit* back up drivers and stuff too u mean? and if i do endup needing to reinstall windows how would i got about backing up HD

15. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

wth you reading 1 7800 gtx aint 900 you can buy 2 7800 gtx for 900 also and least thier sli works were crossfire has a boat load of problems trying to warn ya befor you get somthing that underperforms. And might not be around long sence nv is coming out with quad sli. Couple reviews to look out befor shelling out alot of cash.
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=x1800xtxf&page=1&cookie_test=1
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=x1800+crossfire+against+sli&spell=1
    Looking at reviews if you notice x1800 has more ram then the 7800 gtx 256 and yet that card still outperforms it or stays head to head.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice