1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Replacing My Graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jumbo 1, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jumbo 1

jumbo 1 Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    Could someone offer Me some advice please.

I have a PC i got Myself about 9 - 10 years ago ( so it is old ) My PC runs perfectly well so I am loathed to replace it, however My Graphics card occasionally pixellates so I think it may be a good idea to replace it.

My MOBO is a ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME with a INTEL core i7 processor running 16GB of DDR3 RAM, My current Graphics card is I a AMD Radeon R9 200 /HD 7900 Series so as You can see it is a old graphics card.

What would You guys recommend I replace this graphics card with ? like I said My PC is 10 years old so the technology has moved on and I suspect most of the newest ones today will not be compatible.

Many thanks

Jumbo 1.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello jumbo 1,

We could do with some further information.

What is the brand and model name or number of the power supply.

What is the main use of the computer, if gaming, what games.

In which country will you be making any purchase - what is your maximum budget.

3. jumbo 1

jumbo 1 Thread Starter

Hi phillpower2,
    Sorry about the late reply.
    My Power supply is a 950 W ( not sure of the make )
    The only games I play are online games through Facebook such as Criminal Case, Clash of Kings.

I reside in the UK.

Hope this additional info helps.

Cheers

Jumbo 1

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello jumbo 1,

No worries, we understand you have other things to attend to (y)

Need to know the exact PSU details I`m afraid, this so that we can check the quality of the brand, specs and how old the supply could potentially be. 950W sounds impressive but some brands are so bad that you wouldn't trust them as a door stop.

Before making any purchase I would suggest that you do some troubleshooting, the card could be fine but the PSU may not be, the hardware could be getting hot and causing display issues as just two examples of what else could be amiss.

Is there a pattern to when the problem occurs, when playing Criminal Case, Clash of Kings or is it random.

When (if ever) was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

What OS are you running, 7, 8.1 or 10.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue is present.

5. jumbo 1

jumbo 1 Thread Starter

Hi phillpower2,

Sorry yet again for the late reply.

All it says on the PSU is :-

"PC Power&Cooling"
    "Silencer MK2 950 watt"
    "High Performance Power Supply"

My operating system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

I regularly clean and dust off the inside of My PC case to keep it as dust free as possible.

Cheers

Jumbo 1.

6. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello jumbo 1,

That was a very good PSU when first released but being potentially eight years old it could be starting to show its age, that said there is nothing to prove that at present, knowing the answers to the other questions that I asked may help some.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice