1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing onboard video with graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heir2glory, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heir2glory

heir2glory Thread Starter

I have a 1 yr-old Dell Dimension 5150 with on-board graphics and sound. I have recently purchased a GeForce 6600 128MB PCI-E graphics card to try and beef it up a bit.

I have inserted the card correctly into the PCI-E slot but my problem is in installing the driver. I'm certain that I have downloaded the correct driver, but as I run the set-up program I get the following error message:

The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

And that's it - all my hopes of playing a decent game dashed at the first hurdle. Is there anyone who may be able to help?

Many thanks

2. stranglehold

stranglehold

You need to get into your bios and disable the onboard video and audio. This should force the computer to only see the ones in the slots.

You get into bios during your bootup, but before the OS starts to load.

3. heir2glory

Thanks sbowman - I'd already tried change the BIOS from 'Auto' to 'On-board/PEG' but this hasn't made any difference. Should I be looking to actually disable onboard video?

4. heir2glory

Been through the BIOS again - definitely got it pointing to the on-board/PEG option which would disable the on-board if the PEG is populated, but apparently the BIOS is telling me that the slot isn't populated.

Again, when I run the driver setup I get the same error - no drivers compatible with current hardware.

I'm starting to think I may have a duff card.

Any other suggestions??? Anyone??

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Did you download the drivers from the Nvidia site or from the card manufacturer site? Have you checked with Dell's support site to see if there's been any reports on this for your machine series. With dell and other proprietary systems these things aren't usually unique to one customer.

6. heir2glory

SOLVED! When replacing on-board graphics with a graphics card it is worth checking that whether the card needs a power supply. Mine did and therefore obviously wasn't being picked up. Once I connected it was recognised instantly.

It may seem obvious but not to a relative newbie who wants to upgrade on-board graphics.

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Great. Glad you got it. You can mark this thread closed with the thread tools at the top.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice