Replacing SSD on laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bluzeere

My Lenovo Y510P came with two hard drives, one smaller one with Windows 8 system files on it, and a larger 1TB size one being a ST1000LM024-HN-M101MBB, which seems is prompt to failure according to my research. That's what happened to me. It started failing more and more until chkdsk operations couldn't help me get it working anymore. Now I can't boot into windows and need a USB key to even access the recovery options, but nothing works to get it to boot. I have a few questions since I will try to repair it myself.

1. Is it hard/dangerous to try to replace it myself, considering this is a laptop, or is it only a matter of unscrewing the back and unplugging the piece?

2. Do I have to find a model that is similar, and if so how similar? I would try to find not the very same SSD, do different ones have different wires/jacks?

3. Once I do change it, will I have to reinstall a new Windows, or does my smaller disk with Windows file contain the licence and everything? What operation would I need to do once I have replaced the SSD?

4. Once I manage to boot into Windows, will there be a way to recover my data on the old SSD, or is it now inaccessible?

Thanks a LOT to anyone who can help...

Oddba11

Jim
To start, based on the specs ( http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/#tab-tech_specs ), that model uses a hybrid drive. Those are typically a single drive which include an SSD and a spinning drive.

1. In the few instances that I've changed laptop drives, they were accessible through a access panel on the bottom or a drive tray on the side. Simply remove any screws and slide out.

2. It would need to be a similar type (ie: connector type). There could be size restrictions based on the BIOS.

3. Yes. Based on the drive type noted above, Windows and all (most) of your files were stored on the (failed) spinning drive. You will need your Recovery disc (you created recovery discs when you got the laptop right?), or you can likely get a Recovery disc from Lenovo.

4. You can connect the HDD to a PC using an USB adapter or external enclosure. If the drive is properly recognized, you may/should be able to copy off your files. If it's not properly recognized, you are pretty much out of luck.

You can also simply get your files from your backups. If you don't have backups, use this as a learning experience and start making them. Hardware can fail at any time, typically without warning (although it seems you had a lot of warning in this instance), so you should have at least one backup copy of any data that you do not want to lose.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online