1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing the power cord for a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iChaplin, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iChaplin

iChaplin Thread Starter

So i broke my laptop cable a few months back by tripping over it and dislodging the part that plugs in the computer. however i temporarily fixed it by smashing the piece back into place, however recently its started to become loose and dislodge itself on occasion. Now im asking where is the best place (in southern ontario, specifically hamilton) where i can get it replaced for relatively cheap.

to clarify my laptop is a Toshiba satellite i got from my grandpa a couple christmases ago so i didnt buy it myself. i just need to replace this one external part. (id use amazon but the post office where i live will not give us our mail of we get packages because we dont have government issues ID (drivers licence for example)

also i dont have a steady income as i live at home with my mother and do not have a job. which is why im asking for a cheap solution. it doesnt have to be the lastest in cable technology, it just has to work

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it is like many Satellites, you may be lucky. They have a standard jack so you can use any power supply that puts out 19 volts DC. Mine is 130 watts, but it wouldn't need to have that high an output to work. You may be able to find the power supply easily at a computer supply store since many laptops are 19v, but it may not have the right connector on it. You would have to pick that up at Radio Shack and attach it yourself.

3. iChaplin

iChaplin Thread Starter

that was the plan, go to the source and see if it'll work before i buy the thing.
    i'll have to wait untill i have money, untill then i angled it in a way that it works as long as i dont move my laptop.
    hopefully it'll hold out untill then

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice