1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing video card in HP 9650 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scs-04, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scs-04

scs-04 Thread Starter

I was wondering if it is possible to replace the video card in a HP Pavillion DV9500/DV9650 laptop on my own?? I have talked with HP support and we have determined it to be a bad video card and they want me to send it in to be fixed. That is about $400 though. I am an IT tech and am comfortable working on laptops/PC's. I have already replaced the video cable in this laptop but it did not help. The screen is really fuzzy and has about 4 copies of everything. I have done a little research but I cannot find just a stand alone video card to buy. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, Laptops usually have the graphics card physically soldered onto the motherboard of the laptop. This means that replacing them is very hard if not impossible. I am not 100% sure about it on your laptop but I would highly doubt that it is possible.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only way you are going to replace the video is to replace the mb. FWIW as I recall, these lappys had quite a number of video problems ie failures.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The problem might also be with the LCD or the connector cable. Laptops get very expensive to repair very quickly.

5. scs-04

scs-04 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have replaced motherboards in a few Dell laptops before. Do you know where I can get a replacement motherboard for this laptop?? Do you think it would be cheaper than the $400 HP wants to fix it?

Thanks

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Nothing comes up in eBay, and the results in Google indicate it's several years old. It definitely isn't worth $400. I wouldn't spend more than $50 and be prepared to lose that. If you already replaced the graphics card/chip, then it obviously wasn't soldered to the board, and since doing so didn't fix the problem, there's something more serious wrong with it.

If this is anything more than a fun project, a new laptop is the way to go.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice