1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacing Vista with Linux Sata drivers ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hellssuperhero, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hellssuperhero

hellssuperhero Thread Starter

does anyone know of a version of linux that supports the vista sata hard drives ?

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Sata hard drives are not specific to Vista - they are a hardware device onto which any OS can be partitioned for and loaded - i.e. the Linux kernel now has NTFS file system read-write capable drivers.

-- Tom

4. hellssuperhero

hellssuperhero Thread Starter

um, yes i want to install linux, but i dont know what it having ntfs read write means in relation to the sata drivers, all i know is when i tried to install XP instead of vista i had to revert back to vista cuz XP doesnt support the sata hard drive in vista and the only other way to get XP up was to partition the hard drive and install the drivers where needed or slipstream a cd which seemed to be a pain to figure as far as doing it with windows goes... well anyway i just want to makesure i can run linux with this hard drive and not run into the same issue as last time

5. TechB

TechB

It's quite likely that most current distros have drivers for your SATA controller. This has nothing to do with Vista though. You would be best to ask this question in a forum dedicated to whichever Linux distro you want to install. If you don't have any Linux experience Ubuntu is a good place to start.

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/webforums

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

WHen you install XP, there is nice message that says " Press F6 if you need to install 3rd party SCSI or Raid Drivers" That is where you would install your SATA drivers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice