1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replication Issues - Windows NT and Windows 2003 AD (Event ID 5719)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peterkennedy, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterkennedy

peterkennedy Thread Starter

Hi there,

i am having some issues with an upgrade on Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2003 Stamdard with Active Directory.

The environment consisted of one Windows NT 4.0 PDC and four Windows NT 4.0 BDCs. As per the Microsoft recommended method to upgrade this environment to Windows 2003 I performed the following:

1. Build a new Windows NT 4.0 server with SP6.0a as a BDC on the production network.
    2. Promoted this newly built BDC to a PDC whilst on the production network.
    3. Ensured that the old PDC had been demoted to a BDC and that all servers were happy replicating with the newly built PDC.
    4. I then removed the newly built PDC from the network, upgraded it to Windows 2003 Standard with Active Directory, turned on the registry setting to make this Windows 2003 a NT 4.0 emulator, and connected it back to the production network.
    5. I then checked server manager on the BDCs and confirmed that they could "see" their DC again, and the DC could see the PDCs.
    6. I left the server to run overnight then the next day I returned to it and ran the command "Nltest.exe /bdc_query:<domain name> to show the connection and replication status of the BDCs.

This is where I ran into problems.

Two out of the five BDCs were quite happy showing a connection status of SUCCESS and were replicating happily between themselves and the DC according to the Event Viewers on both the 2003 DC and the two BDCs.

These two servers were correctly displaying the status code 0 0x0 NERR_SUCCES

However, the other three were reporting the following error message on the 2003 server:

SYNCSTATE: REPLICATION_NEEDED
    CONNECTION_STATE = 1311 0X51F ERROR_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

Therefore, two our of the five BDCs were replicating with the new DC correctly.

When I logged on to any three of the Windows NT 4.0 BDCs that were not working and tried to run Server Manager, it reported that the domain could not be found as there was no Primary Domain Controller. in Event viewer, there are multiple occuranaces of the event ID 5719 as an error and 8021 as a warning.

I am figuring that the problem is on the NT server themselves in that they are not correctly seeing the new DC as their "PDC", or the connection is timing out. The odd thing is two of them are working (which is a good thing as it indicates that my 2003 server is probably okay).

I have been told that I may need to run an NLTEST on the NT servers in order for them to link to the new DC rather than the old PDC.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

Pete

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice