1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Report on an erratic mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bargrid, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bargrid

bargrid Thread Starter

Some weeks ago I asked for help on an erratic MicroSoft mouse and received helpful replies. After working for a short time after my last report the mouse became unusable. Since I had some work that had to be done, I went back to a wired mouse and keyboard. After catching up, I held my breath and tried the optical again. I have been using it for about a week and so far so good. Well, almost so good. Occasionally it will not obey me all that well - much like my children - but when I lift the mouse up into the air and then set it back down, it behaves. This makes no sense to me and may not work if things are really bad but I have my fingers crossed.

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

Lifting the mouse up shouldn't make any difference...

I suggest cleaning it (make sure there isn't any hair or lint inside the mouse). Take the mouse apart and use a can of compressed air to remove any debris.

Also try using it on a difference surface, even just putting a sheet of non-glossy paper down.

From this I take it the erratic mouse is wireless, yes?

If so it will have a battery, I suggest replacing the battery with a new one and cleaning the contacts with an alcohol based (fragrance free) cleaning fluid.

3. bargrid

bargrid Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, Doug. However, in the dialogue in the now closed thread I noted all the things that I had tried which even included buying a new optical mouse which had the same problem as the old mouse. I agree that lifting the mouse makes no sense but I am not going to argue with success - or at least success for now. I believe the problem lies at H-P's door but have had so success there.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Assuming multiple mice have the same problem, there is a hardware fault (with the port being used) or the OS is corrupted in some way.

Also, if this is a USB mouse, USB performance can be affected by other devices on the USB bus.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice