1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reported memory size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cbs604, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbs604

cbs604 Thread Starter

I occasionally come across situations where reported memory size is half of what's physically installed. For instance, I had a machine with 64mb of PC100 ram and I installed another 64mb stick (different brand) but the reported size was only 96mb, not 128 as expected.

On another machine, it had one stick of DDR2100 128mb, but was only reporting 96mb??

These reported sizes are on POST and using Memtest.

I have always used 'same type' and 'same speed' as the basic rules of thumb when adding memory - is there others I should know about?

Cheers,
    Brodie

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The only thing I can think of is you have onboard video which uses part of your system ram making it unavailable to the system therefore not reported by the system.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

32 meg missing from both machines. Yep onboard video.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also some computers cannot use high density sticks. Some require chips on both sides of the module while other like single sided sticks. There are also incompatibilty issues between different memory modules and motherboards. A good place to buy RAM is www.crucial.com and use their configuration tool to choose the right RAM.

5. cbs604

cbs604 Thread Starter

WOW! 3 replies in half an hour - I think I will enjoy this forum.

I can understand the incompatibility bit, but in the case of the pc with the single 128m chip that reported only 96, surely the onboard video wouldn't be claiming 32mb. Could it?

Cheers,

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes it can, and will. What is the size of your video ram? If it is 32 mg there is your missing ram.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice