1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reporting problems in Access 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MattHobbs, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a basic health and safety reporting database for work. I've setup the table, and 2 forms, now i'm trying to make up some basic reports to see what jobs are open and closed.

Each job has an ID number, and the reports show all the ID's wether even if there is or isn't the yes/no tick box ticked.

Idealy i'd like it that when you looked at the report it would only show what ID's that were related to a category (such as IT, furniture, lighting etc).

I've uploaded the database because i've just read through what i wrote and it doesnt make much sence :S

Thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. OBP

OBP

Matt, sorry, I can't work with Access 2007 databases.
    What are the Tick Boxes supposed to do?
    Are they on a form or in a Table/Query?
    Controlling the data for reports is best done using Queries, which can filter the data any way that you want.
    We just need to know how you want them filtered and how you want to set the filtering process, i.e. do you have a Form where you set up the filter parameters of what you want in the Reports?

3. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Hi OBP,

I've uploaded a 2003 save for you to look at. I put the tick boxes in so that it would help me make resources and also categorise each fault reported. That way i could make up queries that would look to those tick boxes, if they boolean was set to yes I could get it to show up in the report.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

Attached Files:

4. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Hiya OBP,

Did you have any luck over last week at what I was after?

Thanks,
    Matt

5. OBP

OBP

Matt, I took a look at it but couldn't decide what report/query you were trying to use, can you give me a bit more detail?
    Your table has IT ticked but your Report is for External Doors.

6. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

I wanted to make a report for each query, so that if you clicked on say the IT faults report, it would look at the queries and show it in a nice and easy to see way. Are you available to chat on google chat? it might be easier for me to chat through it with you while we both have it open, if thats ok?

Thanks,
    Matt

7. OBP

OBP

Matt, it is not necessary for us to chat about it. If you create an Unbound Report Form, you only need one query and one report for most of what you want to do.
    The query looks at the choice made on the Report form and Filters the data according to the form selection.
    I will show you what I mean by modifying your Form and query for you.

8. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Super thanks, I have no idea what an unbound report form is, *googles*

Thanks,
    Matt

9. OBP

OBP

Matt, here is the database with a new Report Search Form, Report Search Query and Report.
    I have concentrated on the frist 3 "options", which have some dummy records in the table.
    The Form uses some simple VBA to put the selected "problem" in to a text box for use with the Report's Heading.
    I hope you can see how the query builds up the "options" in the Criteria Row, the second option box on the form is used to control Fixed, Not Fixed or all problems.

I would normally only have one field for the type of problem, which would use a Combo to select it, with a table of "problems" to choose from as it is better for adding "problems" to it later. Otherwise you have to add Table and Form Fields to do so.

Attached Files:

10. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Cool thanks for that, I can see how it works, The only thing im a little confused on is the report itself, can i just add the comments box onto the design view of the report?

And can i also delete all the queries that I made as well?

Thanks,
    Matt

11. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Arh i've just noticed that when I select any of the radio buttons, and show the report, it always gets stuck on external doors, not sure why though, any ideas?

Sorry to be a pain!

Matt

12. OBP

OBP

Matt, You can add anything you like to the Search Report Query and then add it to the Report.
    I can select any of the first 3 of the left hand radio buttons and click the view report button to get the correct report.

13. MattHobbs

MattHobbs Thread Starter

Newest version uploaded

Attached Files:

14. OBP

OBP

Try this version.

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice