1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repoted memory does not match installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ratchet, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ratchet

ratchet Thread Starter

Recently preformed some upgrades and now my reported memory fluctuates, 128,131,192,256&262MB.
    O/S win98
    H/D Maxtor 40gb 7200 12/01
    M/B Soltek SL-54u5
    BIOS 54u5-10bin 12/01
    CD-RW Pacific Digital 10-16-40 12/01
    CPU AMD K6-2 500 12/01
    RAM 256MB PC 100 03/00
    V/C Vodoo 4500 03/00
    Upgraded bios then installed new hard drive and cd-rw, found that 266 cpu would not support cd-rw, got 500 and installed.
    I then noticed slower operations at times, started checking reported memory, found fluctuations.
    Went to windows help memory trouble shooter, msconfig.exe/selective startup/cleared process system.ini file, no change. Got lost at device manager/ disable in this hardware profile, skipped to Msconfig.exe/ selective startup, cleared Process Config.sys & Autoexe.bat, no change.
    Checked techguy archives, found DocMemory tester, ran, only found 128mb. Removed and cleaned contacts, rebooted and found 256MB. Next boot 128MB. :confused:

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Does your POST also report varied memory counts?

When showing certain amount of memory in Windows, restart in DOS mode (without rebooting) and type MEM. Does it agree with what Windows reported?

3. ratchet

ratchet Thread Starter

Mr. Ethridge,

Thanks again for your assistance, I replaced bad ram and I am now working at warp speed.
    Now how do I mark my thread as resolved.

4. deuce

deuce

A moderator has to do it for you. Someone will come by soon and do it. Thank you for posting back. I'd say only 1% of the people who start threads come back to tell us if they were finally solved or not... it just makes everyone's job easier when you do. Happy holidays and good luck with all your future computing needs. :)

5. ratchet

ratchet Thread Starter

Thanks deuce_mn,
    That's what I figured but if don't ask you will never know.
    Would have replied sooner but I just got a very weird systray
    message, had to do a selective start up and run virus scan.
    Going to post it under software as it occurred after a download, while testing the down loaded program.
    PS: this is the greatest site!

6. deuce

deuce

Yeah, stick around awhile. You will find that the people here are really great, and the help is not only completely free (donations excepted :D :D) but the best you will find. After a tough day at the boards stop by the random discussion board and you can further get to know the people here in a relaxed environment, and poke in the "rambling discussion" thread where the topic changes faster than the blink of an eye and gets posted to at a rate of what seems like one page an hour. Last week alone we had about 1000 posts to it.

About your question, you are right in that you will never know unless you ask but we have nothing to do if you don't ask, so you might as well do it anyway. :)

P.S. It can get addicting here and we offer TSG Anonymous meetings Mondays at 8 and the Twelve Step Plan Wednesdays at 9. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice