1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

request info on secure hard drive setup...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Rupe, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rupe

Rupe Thread Starter

Ok, This is my current system I use. I have two removable hard drive drawers that I use. One has my normal hard drive that I use for everyday computer usage, surfing and reading emails. The other removable drawer has what I call my "Secure" hard drive. I put it in and use it when I do banking transactions and online trading. I DO NOT use this for any web surfing or email browsing. I am sure you can see why I have this setup.

My question is this. A friend just bought a brand new computer and wants to put together a similar setup. With external hard drives being cheap at a few stores near me, I was wondering how I could setup a computer to "BOOT" from a external drive rather than the internal drive. Is there a way to do that? This way he does not have to buy additional drawers to set his system up like mine. If you can have the pc BOOT from an external drive, can you tell me how to set that up? I am pretty computer literate but just never thought through how to do that.

The way I would like to have it setup would be to only connect the USB to the External HD when wanting to boot from it for secure financial transactions. Unless anyone can convince me that if it is always connected and not used unless chosen to be BOOTED from that no virus's can "Jump" from the internal hard drive being used to the external "Secure" one.

Thanks in advance,
    Rupe

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Rupe

Rupe Thread Starter

Thanks!

I am looking at getting Casper to make a complete copy of existing hard drive to a new hard drive. Do you or anyone else recommend it or anyother program?

Thanks!
    Rupe

4. Rupe

Rupe Thread Starter

Thank you for those links you posted. I have a quick question if you do not mind. If I get an external Hard Drive and have my PC boot to the USB Ext HD to do secure financial transactions, ( I obviously will only plug in the usb drive when I want to boot with that drive. ) Once the pc is booted, obviously the internal HD will be on, but the HD I will be operating from will be the Ext HD. MY question is this. If I am not "using" the internal HD, can any potential virus/key logger "Jump" from that internal HD to the Ext HD?

Thanks for your assistance,
    Rupe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice