1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Request timed out' every 20-30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fairlyawesome, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fairlyawesome

Fairlyawesome Thread Starter

Hey, I hope anyone doesn't mind helping me. I'm having occasional lag spikes with my new laptop's wireless adapter.

I first noticed it in games, and decided to ping my router in CMD. I see the occasional "request timed out", and not sure how to fix it.

My other computers connected to the network are working fine, and I've tried USB Wireless adapters in my laptop which work fine, which implies the problem lies with the inbuilt adapter itself.

I've tried reformatting, and updating drivers, but to no avail.

I thought maybe the adapter might just be faulty, but then I decided to test it on Linux. I pinged the router in the terminal and... it seemed to work fine. I thought maybe some background process in Windows might be doing something to cause the problem, so I started in safe mode (with networking)... still the problem remained.

So I'm pretty much out of ideas now. Do I need to change a setting in the router? Is the adapter faulty somehow? Or is it just Windows messing up?

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 7520, Windows 8. The adapter is a Centrino 2230.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you actually download and install the driver - or just update

using the service tag - written on a label on the laptop goto the dell website and actually download and install the driver

3. Fairlyawesome

Yeah, I've tested drivers from both Dell's website, and Intel's website (network card manufacturer). The problem persists either way, unfortunately :(

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try reseating the wireless adapter

If the adapter is easily accessible, usually through a cover on the bottom of the laptop.
    Remove and reinsert it carefully and firmly to make sure it is not loose.
    Then remove and carefully and firmly replace it several times to cure any possible looseness or corrosion.
    At the same time check to make sure the antenna leads are securely attached.
    NOte: This is not taking the machine apart. We do not recommend removing the keyboard when that is necessary to find the wireless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Fairlyawesome

Oh, I actually had the network card replaced recently, but with the problem still persisting I'm really out of ideas... I'm thinking it could be some obscure setting in Windows somewhere.. or, I don't know :(

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have two wireless manager running - the windows one and the adapter version at all

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice