1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Request Timeouts (advanced troubleshooting completed)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by filmm, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

Hi,

Issue
    Random Request timeouts that happen enough to affect my connection. This started several days ago and locks up webpages and game sessions, often kicking me from a game if there are enough timeouts in a row.

Hardware/ISP
    - Comcast Blast (75+mb download)
    - Netgear C7000-100NAS (Nighthawk)
    - Hardwired at 85-95mb DL/12-15mb UL
    - Wireless 80-90mb DL /10-2mb UL

Troubleshooting
    - 3-5% packet loss, regardless of the time of day
    - Happens with the leased Comcast Modem/Router as well as my newly replaced Netgear Nighthawk
    - Pings, trace routes, ping paths have been completed, but they're only as consistent as my timeouts
    - First call to Comcast yielded a low signal, so they corrected this (verified on later calls that this was not a continuing issue)
    - Comcast guy came out today and could not find an issue from my PC to the router, Router to coax, coax to drop connection. He replaced the drop cable out of courtesy.
    - Flushed DNS, released/refreshed IP, disabled IPv6

I am happy to provide any logs you may need and I am sure I forgot a few things, so feel free to ask. The only thing left I can think is possibly too many connections on the node, but not sure if this is accurate as I have this issue at any point in the day (regardless of peak hours).

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    If drop is replaced and still have issues, it may be faulty wiring from the access point on house to the outlet. Could be bad connector in the outlet.

Did he check the connections at the tap and verify the integrity of the taps' ports?

3. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! He checked the connection behind the wall plate and even replaced the fitting with a new(er) one. He then went to the box that connects to the apartment and replaced my drop line. He didn't open the main box if that is what you meant by the access point? I'm not sure if that also qualifies for the taps as well?

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Are you in like a multistory apartment complex?

If so the whole building has all the coax feeds, most likely anyway, feeding into a box in the basement or first floor normally.

You would have a "drop" ran from your apartment to the said box. Inside the box is several splitters depending on how many other apartments are in the building.

The main line will come into the box and is then split MANY times.

So you may need a higher signal sent to the node feeding the apartment.

It could also be a faulty fitting or cable somewhere else in the system that might cause feedback?? Ns tbh, but it does sound like its a physical issue.

Have you reset the TCP IP settings?

Of you have forgive me I missed it above?

5. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

The box attached to the building does have splitters, but they appear to be broken up in two units a piece. He did check this as well, and all signs came back good.

I did reset my TCP IP, but failed to mention above. It is definitely a physical issue, but this feels like a "needle in a haystack" scenario. The issue sprung up a few days ago without any changes on my end. So frustrating (and defeating).

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well unfortunately with your situation...its going to be hard to diagnose.

You would need to verify the drop from the main tap coming to the box is good. You said Comcast guy said was correct?

If it is, you would then trace back to your line from the box, and test at its connection point.

If its good there, move to the other end of the drop, which would be behind the wall plate in your apartment and test there.

If good, it would have to be a physical defect in the modem.

I'd bad there you can try replacing the barrel in the outlet , If that don't help I'm not sure what else to suggest.

:/

7. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

I ran the TCP IP reset once more and received the results below. These were the same results I received previously when running in Admin CMD. I figured this was successful as the one that failed was an issue writing to a local cache folder. Let me know if this is not the case though..

8. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

He tested those points and said all readings were good. It could definitely be the modem/router, but the issue started on the comcast modem/router, so I actually replaced it with the current Netgear (wanted to upgrade regardless) and the issues persisted.

The thing I find very strange is that I never have pings that are extremely high, it is all or nothing..

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I believe so, but I'm not a huge networking guy. I know a bit but not what a networking engineer would know I'm sure.

If you feel "confident" remove the coax outlet cover from the wall.

Unscrew the coax from behind the outlet and look into the physical plug.

Does it look new? Clean? You will see a slim piece of copper protruding up thru what looks like white foam kinda, called dielectric.

You want to verify that the copper is level with the end of the connector, and that the dielectric is flush with the bottom of the connector.

Attached Files:

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Go to www.pingtest.net and see what it tells ya. Use the closest server possible.

11. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

Thanks Metallica. He actually replaced that fitting with a brand new one just to be on the safe side, but didn't get any negative readings.

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I understand he replaced it but might still oughta double check to make sure it is correct. It most likely is but wouldn't hurt to check.

13. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

Here are the results. I am pretty sure I had a timeout during this, so let me know if I need to run it again.
    Pingtest_1.28.2016.PNG

EDIT:
    Here is my second run..
    Pingtest_1.28.2016_v2.PNG

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  15. filmm

filmm Thread Starter

Headed off to bed, but I will definitely take a look at the link. This version of the Nighthawk is a combination modem/router.

Thank you again for all of your help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice