Requesting Feedback on a Budget Build

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

freegem

Hello everyone,

I'm building a budget gaming rig for a family member and I was hoping to get some constructive criticism from the community. The rig needs to be able to run modern games at mid to low graphic settings. My budget is about $800 at most. I would actually like to keep it lower than that if there are viable options at that price point, but through my own research it doesn't seem like there are any. I would mostly like to know:
  1. Have I made any terrible choices in regards to the hardware working well together?
  2. Where can I save a little more money?
  3. Where should I spend a little extra money?
  4. Have I allocated too much money to the CPU compared to the other components? Right now the CPU (Quad Core i5 Skylake) is 1/3 the total price of the machine.

The specs are as follows:

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3

CPU
Intel Core i5-6600 Skylake Quad Core 3.3 GHz

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 - 2GB GDDR5 - PCI-E 3.0 x16

RAM
G.Skill Ripjaw V Series - 8 GB DDR4 3200 (288-pin)

Power Supply
EVGA 100-B1-0600-KR 600W

HDD
Western Digital WD1001FALS - 1 TB - 7200 RPM

Case
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition - VL80001W2Z - ATX Mid Tower

DVD Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA

Thank you in advance for your feedback and constructive criticism. I'm always eager to hear your opinions and learn from my mistakes.

Hey,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127844

GTX 960 for the same price as the 950 you listed.

What about OS, monitor, KB & M, speakers etc. Are they included in your budget?

The RAM you have selected is not on the QVL for that motherboard (are you aware of this?)

Do you need a DVD drive?

For your budget, I would be looking at an AMD build with a better GPU and if possible an SSD (and a PSU with at least 5 years warranty)

crjdriver

evga does not build their own pw supplies. The supernova line is mfg by seasonic [those are pretty good] however the rest of the evga is not all that great. I would REALLY go with a better quality pw supply. Either a seasonic or a corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY]
I agree; get a ssd. That is the single biggest boost to performance you can give to a system. Once you use a system with a ssd, you will never go back to a mech hd [at least for the os drive]

freegem

@Dougx789

What about OS, monitor, KB & M, speakers etc. Are they included in your budget?
The budget is not concerned with any of these items. They have all been taken care of already.

The RAM you have selected is not on the QVL for that motherboard (are you aware of this?)
I replaced the original RAM with the following product that is listed on the QVL for my motherboard: 16GB G.Skill DDR4 2133MHz

Do you need a DVD drive?
I do need a DVD drive for this build because he will need to install software from CD/DVDs from time to time.

For your budget, I would be looking at an AMD build with a better GPU
I am going to take your suggestion start an AMD build for comparison and I will post a link here once I have completed it.

and if possible an SSD
I actually didn't realize that I could get a decent size SSD for such a reasonable price. I have replaced the original HDD with the following SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO850

@crjdriver

I would REALLY go with a better quality pw supply. Either a seasonic or a corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY]
Power supplies are one of the components that I don't have much knowledge about. I was simply looking for one that had at least 600W. I have replaced the original PSU with the following: 650W CORSAIR RM650

Please let me know what you think of these selections and let me know if there are any areas where you think I could save a little more money and any areas you think I should spend a little more.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online