'Requesting network address'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rowaneisner

Hi

We have one internet connection which we use to connect two computers. An Xp machine makes the connection and serves my Linux machine over a local area connection. I have my machine set to request a dynamically allocated IP address, and if the XP machine connects first and then I plug in the LA network cable it works fine. But if I unplug my machine and reconnect it then it goes into permanently 'requesting network address from the wired network' and the other machine never responds and has to be restarted. As both are laptops which are moved independently this is a pain. Any suggestions much appreciated.

-r

TerryNet

Terry
Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a router. (But if your modem has only a USB connection you will also need a modem, or else a modem/router combo).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online