1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Requesting Password to open desktop???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by John1414, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John1414

John1414 Thread Starter

On an HP m800 computer system with windows vista home premium 32bit.

As of May 08, 2013

When computer was turned "on", after vista's progress bar completes, a windows box appeared in the middle of the screen with black backdrop.

Title bar - "startup password"

Text under the title bar - "this computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the password below"

Text Box - this box is identified as "Password'

Two option buttons - [Start] [Restart]

Obviously, don't know the password. The only thing i can do with the computer is reboot.
    This occurs when booting into all forms of SAFE MODE too.
    Has anyone seen this anomaly and if so what is the recourse besides wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling the O/S. I have run anti-virus programs and anti-malware programs with no infections.

Thank you in advance!

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Please read and follow the rules when posting. We do not offer password support since the identity of an individual cannot be determined. Here is the relevant section of the rules.
    http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

3. John1414

John1414 Thread Starter

Please accept my apologies. I typed in the wrong statement in subject text box. I was not requesting a method in bypassing a password. I was trying to find out if my computer got hacked or if my computer picked up an infection that changed the way my computer boots up. Never had a password and/or user name setup for my computer. My computer use to boot up to the desktop directly.

Again, please accept my apologies and thank you for the kindly manner of the notification.

John1414

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Hopefully one of the Tech's can give you some info on your situation John1414.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since Windows has already started to load, it can't be a BIOS password (I don't think). And if it comes before the normal, Windows login, it really sounds like someone may have installed a password app of some sort. Is that possible? It may also be a password on the drive itself. Any changes to anything related to hardware, or anyone inside BIOS setup recently?

A screen shot would help, but I understand the obstacles to that.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Something like this?

Attached Files:

7. John1414

John1414 Thread Starter

Yes, the attachment that you sent me is indeed what i get when booting up my computer.
    Thank you.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That is not the normal log in screen that you would see... i haven't seen this myself so I will defer to the rest of the crew.

There are various ways to combat this, but we don't offer assistance in bypassing/removing the password.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!