1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rerouting the My Documents Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coachdan32, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coachdan32

coachdan32 Thread Starter

I am trying to find a way to change the location where files saved to the My Documents folder on one computer (smaller HD) to a network shared folder on another computer. My thought was to delete or hide the computer's My Documents folder and create a new My Documents folder on the network folder and place a shortcut to it on the the other computers desktop. I don't think you can delete My Documents though. So, is there a way to hide that folder? I also would like to change the default save for all Office products to that folder if possible. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

hehehehe

You tried right click on the My Documents folder on your desktop and choosing change location of my documents?

3. coachdan32

I didn't realize that was there. That makes things easier. I wish there was a Browse button, because I am not sure how to write the path to a folder on another machine. I have seen it done before, but haven't in a while. Is like //computer2/My Documents?

Also, how do I handle the files that are already in the folder? Do I have to manually move them or will they automatically move to the new location?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

This is a good KB article -

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

with a network share its \\remotepc\sharename

In the KB it says there is a box for it to move the items when you finish setting it up being redirected is it not there?

5. Colossus610

Colossus610

There is a browse button, upon right clicking your "My Documents' folder, choose properties, and in the "MY Documents Properties" window, click on "move" , that should bring up a file browser/explorer window.

6. coachdan32

Colossus,
    You are right. I didn't try it because I am at work and I know that option will be locked out. Thanks.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you really want to locate your My Documents folder on a network drive?

8. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

is this computer in a domain enviroment?

9. coachdan32

Is there a better way to clear up disc space on the smaller drive? What are the best arguments not to? For now, it is just a shared folder - I haven't mapped a drive to it. These are two of my personal machines at home - sharing files and a workgroup.

10. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Keeping the My Documents on a remote machine is a good plan if you have a small HDD and the machine where you plan to store documents is going to be always on.

There are no drawbacks to doing so, unless you have a poor network or the remote machine is broken and/or virus infected.

We have 400 PC network here and all our My Documents are routed to a server.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice