1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Research help...

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gibble, Feb 14, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

I'm trying to find information on some proposed legislation in Canada that could limit or destroy the online pharmaceutical industry here...

...can you friendly randomites help me google this? As I'm not finding much at all :(

2. izme

izme

I am not finding much either

but maybe these will help

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2005/01/24/gvsa0124.htm

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/site/topic.htm#reimportation

if it were me , I would E.Mail these people and ask them what they think. I think they are the largest in Canada

http://www.crossborderpharmacy.com

3. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Thanks fish...what annoys me are lines like this from Americans "Americans should be able to do so legally and those who say it isn't worth the risk." What risk? This is Canada...not some third world county!?!

4. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Thanks fish :)

Those helped, I actually want to find more from a Canadian perspective...but those helped :D

5. izme

izme

I added one URL to that

I wonder if this has something to do with consumer paranoia stemming from problems dealing with other over seas company's or Mexico that has had big problems with it. Canada seems to have a pretty good track record though. Many around here buy Canadian Drugs!

6. izme

izme

Seriously, why not contact a Canadian Pharmaceutical Company and ask them? I would be very curious of what they had to say! (y)

7. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

The issue from our perspective is that if Americans are buying all our drugs...what's left for the Canadians that need them?

And that is why Canadian lawmakers are trying to cripple the industry.

What is sad, is that for Canada, this is a billion dollar industry, providing tens of thousands of jobs to our citizens...

...the American view is an ignorant concern of safety...the drugs coming back to the US through Canada's price controlled system (which is why they are cheaper) are the EXACT same drugs bought for more in the US market. Heck, most were made in the USofA...so allready met the FDA regulations.

8. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Well, I may be working for one soon...and when I ask them about it, I get very positive responses...obviously.

I am just looking for independant research on this.

9. runnyooze

runnyooze

10. jimpen

jimpen

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story?id=478680&page=1

Drug Companies Crack Down on Canadian Internet Pharmacies
    Blacklisting Moves Some Companies Overseas, May Compromise Drug Safety
    By JOHN McKENZIE

WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Feb. 7, 2005 — Trying to circumvent soaring prescription drug prices in the United States, an estimated 2 million Americans buy their medications from Internet pharmacies in Canada, which employs government price controls. Some major pharmaceutical companies are now aggressively trying to stop the cross-border sales.

The biggest pharmacy in all of Canada — where many of the Internet pharmacies are based — does not sell one pill to a Canadian.

"Our clientele is 100 percent American and we dispense over 3,000 prescriptions per day," said Bob Fraser, lead pharmacist for the Web site CanadaDrugs.com.

At least 80 Internet pharmacies in Canada cater to Americans — selling Fosomax for osteoporosis, Paxil and Effexor for depression, Nexium for heartburn, Lipitor for high cholesterol — all for 30 percent to 40 percent cheaper than U.S. prices.

What started out five years ago with one Canadian pharmacist selling Nicorette gum to Americans via the online auction site eBay has turned into an $800 million-a-year business.
    {more at the above link}
    -----------------------------------------
    Is this the story you're talking about?

11. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Yea, this is sort of what I'm looking for. That's one side of the issue...I'm annoyed by the drug companies ridiculous claim on the second page "There should be no need for patients to put themselves at risk by purchasing potentially counterfeit medicines over the Internet," the statement said.

I really want to learn more about the legislation that the Candian government might pass to hinder this sort of thing...as I've heard little about it and am looking for more.

But this article certainly helped.

12. lizard

lizard

Hi Gibble!

Google hansard "prescription drugs" internet or some combo thereof.

Hansard is a record of Canadian parliamentary proceedings.

I came up with this:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/38/1/parlbus/chambus/house/debates/036_2004-12-01/han036_1810-E.htm

I think it's mostly debates, though.

_

13. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Thanks lizard, that's exactly the issue I was looking for information on :)

14. lizard

lizard

No problem Gibble. Good luck with the job. (y)

_

15. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

I haven't got it yet...we'll see what happens this week.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice