Research Lookup Crashing MS Word

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dpomerleau

Here is a really annoying but simple to describe problem I've had for a long time, but can't figure out.

When I open a new document (or any document for that matter) in MS Word, hightlight a word, right click and hit "Look Up", word brings up the Research Pane and then hangs - eventually crashing and exiting.

I don't really care to USE the Research features of Word, so it wouldn't be so bad except for one. "Look Up" seems to be bound to some keyboard combination that I'm not aware of, that I inadvertently hit on occassion, with the unfortunate consequences.

Can anyone suggest a fix to prevent the Research "Look Up" command from crashing word?

Thanks!

--Dean

dpomerleau

I seem to have fixed the problem myself by deactivating several research
services. One I explicitly remember was deactivating Factiva, but it may have
been another one.

Now when I look at the "Research options..." dialog box on the Research
Pane, I only have Encarta Dictionary English (North America), Thesaurus (US),
eLibrary and Encarta Encyclopedia: English (North America) checked.

Now when I right click on a word and chose "Look Up", the Research Pane
comes up and gives me reasonable entries, WITHOUT crashing MS Word.

So it seems like I must have had a "bad" research service activated, that
was causing Word to crash - a behavior you would hope wouldn't happen, but it
doesn't entirely surprise me...

Thanks!

--Dean

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online