1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Research Lookup Crashing MS Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dpomerleau, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpomerleau

dpomerleau Thread Starter

Here is a really annoying but simple to describe problem I've had for a long time, but can't figure out.

When I open a new document (or any document for that matter) in MS Word, hightlight a word, right click and hit "Look Up", word brings up the Research Pane and then hangs - eventually crashing and exiting.

I don't really care to USE the Research features of Word, so it wouldn't be so bad except for one. "Look Up" seems to be bound to some keyboard combination that I'm not aware of, that I inadvertently hit on occassion, with the unfortunate consequences.

Can anyone suggest a fix to prevent the Research "Look Up" command from crashing word?

Thanks!

--Dean

2. dpomerleau

dpomerleau Thread Starter

I seem to have fixed the problem myself by deactivating several research
    services. One I explicitly remember was deactivating Factiva, but it may have
    been another one.

Now when I look at the "Research options..." dialog box on the Research
    Pane, I only have Encarta Dictionary English (North America), Thesaurus (US),
    eLibrary and Encarta Encyclopedia: English (North America) checked.

Now when I right click on a word and chose "Look Up", the Research Pane
    comes up and gives me reasonable entries, WITHOUT crashing MS Word.

So it seems like I must have had a "bad" research service activated, that
    was causing Word to crash - a behavior you would hope wouldn't happen, but it
    doesn't entirely surprise me...

Thanks!

--Dean

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice