1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reset bios in setup, now have constant noise in speakers

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dn1955h, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dn1955h

dn1955h Thread Starter

brothers computer...was installing directx 8 and computer locked up. ctrl/alt/del and went into setup. He suggested I reset the Bios to "default". Now there is a constant "WA WA WA WA" on speakers and no other sound. When I open volume control there are 4 green bars on wave balance. Board has MVP3. Can find no conflicts in control panel. This has happened before and he got rid of it by reloading windows...didn't work this time. Running windows 98. It also always goes to the screen on startup of selection for "safe mode, normal, dos, step confirmation". This may be unrelated....

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The startup menu may be appearing because it is enabled. To check, go to start, run msconfig and click on "advanced". Uncheck "enable startup menu" if it is checked.

If it is not, then the problem could be the winbootng file discussed in this MS thread....

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q143283

About the sound problem I'm clueless, but you might try removing and reinstalling the sound card.

3. dn1955h

dn1955h Thread Starter

Thanks, that solved the problem of the window opening on startup. Now if I can get the sound working I'll be all set

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The sound card may require an IRQ reserved for it in the BIOS; this is often IRQ5. If it's an installed card, sometimes changing the slot will set things right, but you don't want it next to the AGP slot.

Also be sure the VIA 4in1 driver set is installed for the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice