1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reset BIOS Now Theres Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jadox, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jadox

Jadox Thread Starter

I Reset the BIOS files through the menu where you press F10 and now i can't Save Files Due to an Error Saying I Don't Have Access Even Though I Am The Administrator I Have Gone In Safe Mode and I Changed Everyones Permissions To Be Able To Save And Write And Modify Local Disk C so I Tried Again Afterwards And Still Same Error Saving I Can Run Files But If I try To Save I get and Error Message About The Write Protection Or That The Drive Is Full Which It Isn't. Any Ideas How To Fix It? Cause It Is Kinda Annoying Could It Have Anything To Do With Me Defragging The Computer Earlier In The Day Or Is It BIOS settings Related?-Don' Know If This is The Right Section For This Question...:confused:

p.s.I Can't Even Save To A Removeable Disk I Can Save Pictures But I Can't Save Downloads

Update: I Can Save Things As Long As It Doesn't End in .exe anything else i can save
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III processor, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 318 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation), 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 9531 MB, Free - 1369 MB;
    Motherboard: Compaq, 0684h

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

W:)W...a Pentium III computer...very cool...oh my gosh 318 MB RAM. You get the blue collar award! :cool:

Don't have an answer on permissions as I won't even create an account on my XP machine, but I am sure an expert will be along shortly enough. Just wanted to comment on your fine choice of vintage machinery...

3. Jadox

Jadox Thread Starter

Yeah I Know Huh After My Other Computer Crashed I Found This Dinosaur In The Closet I Was Like :eek: Pentium III then on the label on the side i am like 318 MB RAM :eek:

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is this your "dinosaur"?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10653_na/10653_na.HTML

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

OH YEAH! That was back before they put them together. You just bought it, and they told you how to make the parts...

6. Jadox

Jadox Thread Starter

Got the "slim desktop" model even though it is HUGE...

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

Jadox...one thing I am noticing about your PIII. With 10 GB...this is almost exactly what a full installation of XP requires with all the updates. I see thanks to flavalee that your machine has 2 USB ports. Any chance you could get a USB hard drive to save your files? I think they go for $50-$75 dollars (I have a 110 GB one myself) and the great thing is they are portable.

As for your problem...I do not think defragging would at all have caused a problem. Do you have a copy of Windows XP in the form of a Microsoft Installation disk? A repair installation might be the best option for you here. Could learn alot by running the procedure, and it won't erase any of your files, programs, or settings. It will get rid of the Windows updates on the machine, but those can be easily replaced.

Barring that, the $50 you could spend on a USB hard drive, could go a long way to a newer machine that has much more space for your files and is much faster, etc. I have some ideas on some good ones if that becomes an option for you...

8. Jadox

Jadox Thread Starter

Yeah I Was Thinking about the new computer option earlier but I am a little confused i have up to date antivirus and there was one corrupt cookie file after full scanning 4 times odd thing is i can save the microsoft fix it .exe files fine...
    and I Don't have the CD anymore And i have tried saving files to a flash drive and same thing Issues with Ownership of the Drive Well I Guess I Can Try Safe Mode Again

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

Jadox...

I'm not sure about the ownership thing, but I have a copy of XP on Sun VirtualBox set for a 10GB installation partition. I get almost the same errors you are getting, so I am leaning toward the idea that XP is stopping you from saving anyting to your hard drive. Some extra space on your hard drive is required for what is called a swap file. By default the size is set to 1.5x the the amount of RAM you have. That would mean 500 MB of the HD are being saved by Windows.

As for the Fix-Its...perhaps it's permitted in Windows XP for you to download and run those. Could be that was in one of the XP updates early on or when the Fix-It idea came out.

10. Jadox

Jadox Thread Starter

thing is that i CAN save things it just cant be an .exe file i can save .rar .zip anything like that just cant be the file prefix .exe and it isn't just my hard drive i can't save to a flash drive

11. AtlBo

AtlBo

Maybe Windows is trying to keep you from installing any more programs (even from your flash drive). One thing I almost forgot to mention. One other reason Windows shuts down features as a hard drive fills is because System Restore will delete all restore points and turn itself off to add space if you get really close. Dangerous to work without System Restore. The main thing is the swap file though and space for temporary internet files...no way around those.

Maybe you'd be happier with at least a bigger hard drive. You should make sure your BIOS is the latest one. Google brand and model of your PC and "drivers". Problem is, of course, that's an .exe file. Hopefully, you will still be able to do install it somehow. Maybe you could move some files to another machine? If you can't update BIOS, you will need to see how large a hard drive your PC will recognize. Google brand and model of your PC and "maximum hard drive size". Almost positive you would need an IDE type hard drive...definitely not SATA...

Again if you decide to look for a PC good luck. I'll try to help if you would like any suggestions...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!