1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reset/Clear CMOS on Gateway MT6451

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SysFix005, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SysFix005

SysFix005 Thread Starter

My 1st laptop , gave VISTA a week to settle down. Played with it for almost 2 days. Set the HDD pswd & Supervisor pswd. Wrote down. Rebted hit F10 to get to boot options, prompted for pswd [don't remeber which one] then prompt for HDD pswd after 3rd try system disabled. gave it & me 2days off. removed Disk. prompt for supervisor no go on 2 trys.
    Asking for help before what I assmue will be my last.

With 30+ years experance from the System/360 2065 big iron [The one that put US on the moon] to RS color, Osbore Execitve
    I would not be burnned by forgetting a password. I guess it shows I can still get "Out there" when working on new systems & performing my norimal cofigs.

I didn't even activate any Software. Help - Help -
    Help!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I see a problem here with your post. Since you "wrote down" the bios password, you should have it. Laptops are not like desktops in that you can clear cmos and remove a bios password; this is done for security.

So in short clearing cmos will not solve your problem.

3. SysFix005

SysFix005 Thread Starter

Agreed. Toshbas notebooks used to have a small RESET button that clearup issiuses like mine but more often when a hardware profile was crupt. I try to get a "Theme" when setting passwords. Not the best practice in support roles you need to pick your battles. So the password i should know & my writitng is poor when i am awake. What I need to know iis: does the hardwre passwordsm in the Gateway MT6451 have lenght or other restrictions?? That would give me a clue i the password i have tried could have been used??
    the 2 that i would use are only 6 char. long. if too short, then i go on a vision test.
    I have tried 2 times for the supervisor pswd. AND the HDD pswd disable the system after 3 wrong.
    Any things that haved worked for you in the past???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice